Thread: Salinity probe not working properly?

Salinity probe not working properly?

I just purchased a new unit and i finished with the calibration set the probe in the tank overnight and in the morning i see the salinity is very low i take out my refractometer and salinity is good
    I dried the probe during the dry time
    I shook the probe to release air bubbles
    I don’t know what else im doing wrong or is the probe messed up
    So right after the calibration it showed me the calibration fluid is 45.3 i left the probe in the calibration fluid and it changed to 35.1 it doesn’t make sense

Did you enable temp compensation at 2.2 to start and match the packet temp to tank temp? If not, that's your problem.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Did you enable temp compensation at 2.2 to start and match the packet temp to tank temp? If not, that's your problem.

Where would I find temp compensation

Salinity probe not working properly?

i did the temp compensation it dropped lower
    I float the packet before doing the calibration and it was the same temperature as the tank

What happens if you take a cup of tank water out of the tank and check its salinity? Does the number drop closer to 35?

The 35 was in the solution

My tank is supposedly 29.8

It did drop when i took a cup of tank water

I would hit it one more time, but this time unplug the probe and quickly scroll through a manual calibration first. Then go through the calibration.

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    I had a similar problem with my salinity probe. After a lot of research I concluded that the problem may have been due to air bubbles both during calibration and in normal use. I ended up buying a probe storage bottle (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-p...er-bottle.html) and used this to perform the calibration with the probe upside down to allow all the bubbles to escape upwards. Then, when I placed the probe in my sump I put it completely under water upside down to again let ALL the air bubbles to escape. It's been very accurate ever since. Air bubbles cause a lot more interference on these probes than people realize.

I've also seen some people use a plastic bag with rubber bands to allow the probe to be upside down in the calibration fluid if you don't want to buy the probe storage bottle.

New User
    What did you have your temp comp to?

New User
    @SunCrestReef I’ve been having trouble with my probe as well. It works well during the day and temp comp is set to 2.2. It always tends to go off at night and then fixes itself throughout the day. I have a feeling the solution is what you mentioned. How did you install your probe upside down in your sump? Can you provide pictures of how you did this?

Quote Originally Posted by TangoTan16 View Post
    What did you have your temp comp to?
    2.2 spoke to peat neptune they said it was ok

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbrugger View Post
    @SunCrestReef I’ve been having trouble with my probe as well. It works well during the day and temp comp is set to 2.2. It always tends to go off at night and then fixes itself throughout the day. I have a feeling the solution is what you mentioned. How did you install your probe upside down in your sump? Can you provide pictures of how you did this?
    If it's only acting up at night, is it possible that your heater comes on at night and is interfering with the probe? You should compare your salinity graph with your heater output to see if the values correlate.

As for my probe installation, I just have it held in place with a magnetic probe holder, but upside down so the tip remains at least 1/2" under water.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by SuncrestReef View Post
    If it's only acting up at night, is it possible that your heater comes on at night and is interfering with the probe? You should compare your salinity graph with your heater output to see if the values correlate.

As for my probe installation, I just have it held in place with a magnetic probe holder, but upside down so the tip remains at least 1/2" under water.
    I figured the issue out. I totally reran my probe last night. I decided to rerun it completely based on best practice recommendation I've been reading. I had my salinity probe running with my 3 other probes. No issues with the others. I separated the salinity probe and put it on its own path back to the PM2 module. This required me to drill a whole into my stand right below where the module was connected. I calibrated the PM2 module manually with nothing connected to it and then re calibrated the salinity probe and all is working well now. No fluctuation and it remained constant all night.