Thread: Monitoring and controlling second tank: Add to existing APEX or use new APEXEL???

kpacheco8

Monitoring and controlling second tank: Add to existing APEX or use new APEXEL???

Hi, Maybe a dumb question, but I was looking to add my wife's nano tank to my existing APEX system to monitor PH and Temp as well as control lights, skimmer and return pumps. Anyway, I did some research based on similar questions already asked on this forum. Based on that I looked up all the components I'd need ie: PB8, 30ft aquabus cable, PM1 Module, probes, etc and when added up individually it comes out to about $100 less than the new APEXEL which includes the EB832 instead of the EB8. Am I missing something? Wouldn't it be advantageous to just get the APEXEL and have the expand-ability for future use? Or am I miscalculating how many actual components I'll need to connect to my existing APEX.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Frequent Visitor
    No, I think you've got it about right. If you add a breakout box to the PM1 you could monitor water levels or add switches for feed modes. But going with the new Apexel might be a better path if you don't mind the extra $100. You'd be able to add the BB and keep the tanks separated to view them individually that as well.

kpacheco8
    I didn't even think about a breakout box....that just narrows the gap even more. Sounds like a no brainer to me. Especially if she wants to all more equipment later on it will allow for more expand-ability (EB832). Thanks again.

Frequent Visitor
    If it were me, I would buy the EL. This way you could potentially have a backup if either system were to fail by using one of the other to control both tanks until you get it fixed.

kpacheco8
    Quote Originally Posted by stre1026 View Post
    If it were me, I would buy the EL. This way you could potentially have a backup if either system were to fail by using one of the other to control both tanks until you get it fixed.
    Hmmmm...good point, Plus if she ever wants to upgrade to a larger tank she has the system to go with it too.

New User
    If I were you, I will go for Apex EL. Because of redundancy and one more powerful EB832. $500 is definitely worth it. Apex EL with temp + PH monitor is sufficient for tank monitor.