Thread: COR 20's and power outage WTF is going on?

Frequent Visitor

COR 20's and power outage WTF is going on?

So I had the power go out this morning for about 90 minutes. When the power came back on the both my COR 20's ran at 100% of their IQ level and would not respond to my manual pushing of the buttons to slow them down. This caused the return section of my sump to be lower water level than normal, which caused the ATK to pump more top off water than needed. The extra water wasn't a big deal, it dropped the salinity a 1/2 pt or so, but still was at reasonable levels.

When the APEX finally re-connected the COR's still would not slow down until I ran the IQ calibration. I didn't have to adjust the IQ points and accepted the previous high and low settings. After I did that the pumps returned to the proper % settings. However, the COR's were not pushing the right flow through the flow meters anymore. My main return COR 20 normally ran at about 40% IQ level, which is about 500 GPH. However, at 40% it was pumping under 300 GPH. I now have the pump running at 75% IQ to achieve the 500 I had before.

My other COR ran at about 40% IQ which is about 215 GPH through the UV sterilizer, but was running at about 310 GPH at the same 40%. I now have it at near 30% to get to 220.

Why didn't the pumps respond to my manual button pushes when the APEX was offline? Also, once back online why didn't the pumps maintain the flow they previously had at the same settings?

Frequent Visitor
    No thoughts or opinions as to why this happened? Should I be concerned that the CORs didnt respond to the manual button press when the APEX was disconnected from the network waiting for router to come back up (APEX is hard wired)?

No idea. I would contact support. My best guess is maybe the COR firmware corrupted from a power spike or something and reset the IQ settings.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Had another power outage last night and the COR pumps lost IQ settings again, at least that is what I think is happening. I have contacted support to see if loss of IQ settings is normal after a power loss. If that is the case, using IQ settings is probably not a good idea. Here is what happened and why it is a problem....

Lets say my max IQ setting is 75% of maximum Flow 0.75(2000) = 1500 GPH. If I run my pump at 50% of IQ settings, my flow is 0.50(1500) = 750 GPH
    Power goes out, pump starts running at my 50% setting, but that ends up being 50% of 2000, so I end up with flow of 0.5 (2000) = 1000 GPH

I end up with 250 GPH above my tuned plumbing. That makes my pump chamber drain faster than it fills and causes the ATK to pump a lot of unneeded water into the system. It also causes the sump to be too full which causes the skimmer to overflow.

I have to reset my IQ settings to get back to normal. I think at this point, I should never use IQ settings if the settings do not remain stored after a power outage.

What is crazy is that I have had more power outages since I set up the tank in the last 3-4 months than I had in 3 or 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by rbarr110 View Post
    Had another power outage last night and the COR pumps lost IQ settings again, at least that is what I think is happening. I have contacted support to see if loss of IQ settings is normal after a power loss. If that is the case, using IQ settings is probably not a good idea. Here is what happened and why it is a problem....

Lets say my max IQ setting is 75% of maximum Flow 0.75(2000) = 1500 GPH. If I run my pump at 50% of IQ settings, my flow is 0.50(1500) = 750 GPH
    Power goes out, pump starts running at my 50% setting, but that ends up being 50% of 2000, so I end up with flow of 0.5 (2000) = 1000 GPH

I end up with 250 GPH above my tuned plumbing. That makes my pump chamber drain faster than it fills and causes the ATK to pump a lot of unneeded water into the system. It also causes the sump to be too full which causes the skimmer to overflow.

I have to reset my IQ settings to get back to normal. I think at this point, I should never use IQ settings if the settings do not remain stored after a power outage.

What is crazy is that I have had more power outages since I set up the tank in the last 3-4 months than I had in 3 or 4 years.
    If you haven't already done so, make sure your apex is on a surge protected outlet and it's even better if it's on a power conditioner or UPS. Power surges often proceed outages because a lightning strike or other fault condition is what caused the outage to begin with. This can cause odd behavior, corruption, and equipment damage to any sensitive electronics including the apex.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rbarr110 View Post
    I have contacted support to see if loss of IQ settings is normal after a power loss.
    That is not normal. You'll need to work with tech support to resolve the issue.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    That is not normal. You'll need to work with tech support to resolve the issue.
    After looking at my charts, it looks like only the COR on the UV line was acting up. However, I know my flow on the return pump was over 700 according to the flow meter right after power came back on. I had to manually shut down the return COR by holding both the buttons in for several seconds to get it to power down as neither pump was responding to manual presses of individual buttons to slow the pumps down. Power was out for about 14 hours thanks to the line from the pole to my house breaking due to the trees growth the lines were fed through.
    UV COR.JPGCOR RTN.JPG