Thread: Why can’t Apex reconnect to WiFi on its own

Regular Vistor

Why can’t Apex reconnect to WiFi on its own

My Apex 2016 constantly disconnects from Fusion.
    I have many cameras, thermostats, outlet plugs all connected to the same network.
    If any disconnect (rarely) they automatically reconnect themselves. Why can’t Apex do this?
    I just like things to work. I figure if a $35 Wemo outlet switch can stay connected why not Apex?
    Just don’t get it..
    Very frustrating having to reconnect with the reset button, only to have it disconnect either within hours or days later...I have an Orbi mesh
    Wi-Fi which works great with everything I have but this Apex..
    At this point I’ve become so use to it disconnecting, I’m willing to put up with it if it could reconnect on its own..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent griper
    I gave up on staying connected to Fusion. Lots of disconnects with the occasional total failure to reestablish the connection. I only use Fusion now when it has a feature that isn't available on Local. After use I log off.

Since I started leaving it connected to Local instead of Fusion I haven't had to push the reset button even once. It's been several months of peaceful reef-keeping.

I have a couple of weeks ago added a wi-fi extender to boost my signal strength (was only 20%) so maybe that would help with Fusion, but I haven't yet tested by staying logged in to Fusion.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Walker View Post
    I gave up on staying connected to Fusion. Lots of disconnects with the occasional total failure to reestablish the connection. I only use Fusion now when it has a feature that isn't available on Local. After use I log off.

Since I started leaving it connected to Local instead of Fusion I haven't had to push the reset button even once. It's been several months of peaceful reef-keeping.

I have a couple of weeks ago added a wi-fi extender to boost my signal strength (was only 20%) so maybe that would help with Fusion, but I haven't yet tested by staying logged in to Fusion.

Stan
    Staying logged into fusion has no effect on connectivity. The data is transmitted whether you are logged in or not.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
    My Apex 2016 constantly disconnects from Fusion.
    I have many cameras, thermostats, outlet plugs all connected to the same network.
    If any disconnect (rarely) they automatically reconnect themselves. Why can’t Apex do this?
    I just like things to work. I figure if a $35 Wemo outlet switch can stay connected why not Apex?
    Just don’t get it..
    Very frustrating having to reconnect with the reset button, only to have it disconnect either within hours or days later...I have an Orbi mesh
    Wi-Fi which works great with everything I have but this Apex..
    At this point I’ve become so use to it disconnecting, I’m willing to put up with it if it could reconnect on its own..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Analyze your wifi signal interference with an app like WiFi Analyzer to see if your router is dumb at picking channels. If you aren't on the least congested of 1, 6, or 11 change it in your router to the least congested. The apex is more sensitive than most devices to wifi interference.

Changing your secondary DNS can also help sometimes. Set that to Google 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 and leave primary as whatever DHCP gave you.

Frequent griper
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Staying logged into fusion has no effect on connectivity. The data is transmitted whether you are logged in or not.
    Given that, I will give Fusion another chance. I'll update this thread once I reach some sort of conclusion.

Stan

Frequent griper
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Walker View Post
    Given that, I will give Fusion another chance. I'll update this thread once I reach some sort of conclusion.

Stan
    After adding the Wi-Fi extender the number of disconnects while logged into Fusion has been greatly reduced and there have been no Apex resets required since my last posting two weeks ago.

Until today.

Following a short 10 minute power outage the Apex (no UPS) recovered control of the tanks but not Wi-Fi. My PC is on a UPS and was in sleep mode, my display notepad is battery powered and was also in sleep mode, and my wireless network is on it's own UPS and was never powered down. Fusion was open on the PC but could no longer communicate with the Apex. The notepad was unable to communicate with Apex local as well. The Apex was clearly running as dosing was occurring.

After 15 minutes I gave up and pushed the pin-hole reset button. The Apex reset and once again Wi-Fi was usable from both systems.

My take on this is that the Apex Wi-Fi is extremely fragile and doesn't always correctly recover after a failure.

And yes, I should have my APEX 2016 on a UPS.

Stan

Frequent Visitor
    I had a similar experience and also think they could improve the network connection support.

Power to my house was lost. The apex is not battery backed but the network equipment is.
    Power was out long enough (about 4 hours) for the UPS on the network equipment to drain the battery and shutdown.
    When power was restored the network equipment came back up as expected but the apex did not.
    The apex has a wired connection and is also wifi connected.
    The apex was running and everything was operating as it should. I didn't do anything until the next day to see if it would eventually connect on it's own.
    It's been a month or so ago and I can't remember if I tried apex local or not.
    The next day I didn't try the reset button. I just pulled both aquabuss connections killing power to the brain and then plugged them back in.
    It took it about 3 minutes but it came back up and connected to fusion.
    Given that it had a cat6 cable plugged into it, I find that pretty lame.

I have not had connection problems with it otherwise.
    I had one other time where it reported the heartbeat was lost but it was legit and my ISP had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CoralFan1776 View Post
    I had a similar experience and also think they could improve the network connection support.

Power to my house was lost. The apex is not battery backed but the network equipment is.
    Power was out long enough (about 4 hours) for the UPS on the network equipment to drain the battery and shutdown.
    When power was restored the network equipment came back up as expected but the apex did not.
    The apex has a wired connection and is also wifi connected.
    The apex was running and everything was operating as it should. I didn't do anything until the next day to see if it would eventually connect on it's own.
    It's been a month or so ago and I can't remember if I tried apex local or not.
    The next day I didn't try the reset button. I just pulled both aquabuss connections killing power to the brain and then plugged them back in.
    It took it about 3 minutes but it came back up and connected to fusion.
    Given that it had a cat6 cable plugged into it, I find that pretty lame.

I have not had connection problems with it otherwise.
    I had one other time where it reported the heartbeat was lost but it was legit and my ISP had a problem.
    If you have a slow booting router, it can help to give the apex a static IP outside your DHCP pool instead of using DHCP. This is a must for classics combined with slow booting routers (DHCP request occurs immediately after reboot), but 2016 models are not affected by the same degree because they are supposed to keep asking the router well after a reboot.

Frequent Visitor
    I do have the 2016 model.
    It might be worth doing a static IP on it. I set my router to always give it the same ip address so it's not changing but it still is done through DHCP.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralFan1776 View Post
    I do have the 2016 model.
    It might be worth doing a static IP on it. I set my router to always give it the same ip address so it's not changing but it still is done through DHCP.
    Got caught up in zombies reply...

So the advice is probably good to compensate for the weak network connection code in the apex.
    The point I was trying to make is that I do believe the apex code for establishing/maintaining the network connection is not very robust.