Thread: Freshwater Planted 240 use - what do I need to make Apex EL do what I want?

Regular Vistor

Freshwater Planted 240 use - what do I need to make Apex EL do what I want?

Looking at buying an ApexEL. Out of the gate I want to use it to control my CO2, heaters, total control of 4 Kessil 360's and 2 EcoTech MP40QD's. I've read a bunch, but not sure I have a total grasp on the different things I'll need. I think I need:

1 VDM to give me 4 0-10v ports for the Kessils
    1 VDM to give me 2 more ports for the MP40's

Not sure what cables I need to connect the Kessils (or how many). They will be connected to each other with cables from Kessil
    Not sure what cables I need to connect the MP40's (or how many)

I don't think I'll need anything that doesn't come with the EL to control my CO2 or my heaters.

I will ultimately be changing to a sump with three separate pumps. Because I think (not sure) each VDM can only accept 4 inputs, will I have to purchase another VDM to be able to separately control each pump? (two will be pushing water through CO2 reactors so will need to adjust the output on each pump individually)

I will ultimately be using it to monitor TDS, which I think requires two probes and the PM2. Given that, and all the above, would I ultimately save money by purchasing the full unit instead of the EL?

Am I missing something? Thank you very much for your help!

The full unit conductivity can only be used for saltwater range, so you would need a PM2 either way. An EL + VDM + PM2 + cond probe is cheaper.

You will need a WXM to control the MP40s

You will need one kessil to apex cable and (3) 1/8" TRS cables to daisy chain the others.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The cables needed to daisy-chain multiple Kessils are TRS (standard 1/8" stereo headphone connectors), not TRRS.

Kessil sells the the proper cables:

For Apex to Kessil: Kessil Part Number KSACB01
    For Kessil-to-Kessil: Kessil Part Number KSACB03
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you. Two more questions.

First I want to also run three of the Bulk Reef Supply dosers. Will I need anything else to control them?

Second, if I'm running two heaters (primary and a back up), am I going to have enough electrical outlets on the Energy Bar, or am I going to need another one? Initially I am counting 12 plugs needed (2 MP40, 4 Kessil, 2 heaters, 1 CO2, and 3 dosers). Will the VDM eliminate the need for the Kessils to be plugged directly into the energy bar or will the WXM eliminate the need for the MP40's to be plugged into the Energy Bar, or am I also going to need an additional Energy Bar?

Using the WXM, you can set Vortech pumps to be at 0%, essentially OFF. They do not need to be powered off, so there's little benefit from plugging the Vortechs' power supplies into EB outlets.

BRS dosers work fine on EB832 outlets.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

The kessils and MP40s can be combined with a power strip to have up to 4 in one outlet if you want power monitoring on them or you can just plug them in the wall. That will become 8 plugs used if you want power monitoring or 6 plugs used if you don't.

If you think you may need extra equipment in the future that may use up all your plugs and require another energy bar, I would forgo two of the BRS dosers and get a DOS to save on outlets. The cost of an extra energy bar if needed later plus two BRS dosers is more than the DOS and the DOS is a better doser.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Thank you all for the great advice!!!