Thread: Optic sensor needed in ATO reservoir to stop pump from going dry?

Frequent Visitor

Optic sensor needed in ATO reservoir to stop pump from going dry?

Ok to give a backstory here -last week I had a major catastrophe while I was on vacation. In short, what it appears is that somehow a piece broke off in a micro algae reactor, and caused a chain reaction in that 12 gallons of water was dumped onto the floor including an entire dump of the ATO reservoir (9 1/2 gallons). Yes I was alerted something was happening but somebody decided to suppress the alerts instead of waking me up.

I lost only one fish and a couple pieces of coral miraculously.

So after a couple of other issues I am giving up the tunze and installing the atk. That being said
    1) Should I install an optic sensor in the ato to stop it from running the pump dry?
    2) use it in conjunction with a leak detection system so that it won’t necessary start refilling the sump if it something like a reactor fails and spills water all over the place.

3) and if so-can I plug it in the same fmm unit as the ato? I see some issues possibly that it may cause the atk to not function properly.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do both, and you can use the 3rd and 4th sensor ports of the ATK FMM for those added sensors.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks but is there any value to doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by Faulker's Maze View Post
    Thanks but is there any value to doing so?

You already answered your own question . The two reasons you used are excellent reasons to add those sensors.

In fact, if a ATK is used in standalone mode ( not connected to an Apex), ports 3 and 4 are preprogrammed specifically for the two uses you stated - one for leak detection and the other for low ATO reservoir.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    You already answered your own question . The two reasons you used are excellent reasons to add those sensors.

In fact, if a ATK is used in standalone mode ( not connected to an Apex), ports 3 and 4 are preprogrammed specifically for the two uses you stated - one for leak detection and the other for low ATO reservoir.
    Thanks -but if connected to apex then ports 3&4 operate in the same fashion or I can just program it out?

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks -but if connected to apex then ports 3&4 operate in the same fashion or I can just program it out?

There is definitely value in setting these up. I have the Low Water one and it is great, means the pump will not run dry and sends me alerts to tell me the ATO res needs filling. As for the Leak, I believe everyone should have some sort of leak detection.

You can program them. There are tasks with in Fusion to set them up.
    ATK - Leak Detection
    ATK - Low Water

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNZ View Post
    There is definitely value in setting these up. I have the Low Water one and it is great, means the pump will not run dry and sends me alerts to tell me the ATO res needs filling. As for the Leak, I believe everyone should have some sort of leak detection.

You can program them. There are tasks with in Fusion to set them up.
    ATK - Leak Detection
    ATK - Low Water
    Thanks!

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks!

Ok so I set up per instructions via utube. While the float stopped it, the optical switches are still “open” when I go to the tiles none of them say they are closed including the ones in the screenshot. I can see that at least one of them is def underwater. I would like to resolve this obviously to take advantage of the safety features.

Thanks

Frequent Visitor
    Check the sensors are connected to the right port and that they are firmly seated, them not quite being seating can cause issues

Assuming you plug the optical sensor to FMM switch port 3, it should be closed when you drop it to the bottom of your ato reservoir. If it's not and you've already checked the connection, you can go to the Module page for the FMM and make sure that the port is set to the correct sensor type, or at least to auto-detect. Once you're sure the sensor is working, you need to add If Swx8_3 OPEN Then OFF toward the bottom of that code you posted, to make it work. Also a good idea to set up an email alert (with If Swx8_3 OPEN Then ON added to your email code) for when this happens.

If you plug the leak detector into switch port 4, use If Swx8_4 CLOSED Then OFF in the code of whatever devices you want to turn off when there's a leak. Check the Modules page for correct sensor type here as well. And set up an email alert for this condition too.