Thread: Initial wifi Connect

NSI Member

Initial wifi Connect

I'm in the process of setting up my apex 2016 via wifi with zero luck. I've been following the idiot proof step by step instruction on line. No matter how many times I reset the base unit and start from square one, I can't get the apex to connect to my access point.
    Here's the screen I get after I input the wifi password,

After a few minutes it goes to this:

after retrying, 1 hour can goes by and all I see is this:

I thought maybe there would be an alternate tab for those that have problems at this step to guide me through this problem, but apparently this isn't a common problem. Any help will be valuable.

Thanks!!!!

NSI Member
    More information: I'm trying to connect via PC.

Is there a way to reset the EB832 back to factory settings?

Hydroponics Guy
    I don't think so, but you can just reprogram the outlets all to Advanced, Fallback OFF, Set Off. Then start over. Before you do this, I would save a copy of your current config, just in case. You should see your 8 110v outlets and 2 24v outlets. I don't think the 1Link outlets show up until you connect a 1Link device. The only reset on the EB832 that I know of is the Circuit Breaker button on the back (little orange button).

P.S. Is your WiFi broadcasting its SSID? You might need to broadcast the SSID long enough to establish a connection. Then you should be able to turn off SSID broadcasting and the Apex should stay connected.
    Last edited by Sanderson234; 08-14-2018 at 19:32. Reason: Forgot something

You technically can't reset a module to factory, but you can delete it. All the configuration is actually in the head unit not the module. If you meant reset the head unit to factory, you can do that by holding the little reset pin for a while (I think 30 seconds), but that is unlikely to help in any way.

Are you using any special characters or spaces in your password? I don't remember which caused problems but I vaguely recall a thread about it. Also make sure you are using WPA2-PSK [AEP] for your encryption type.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hydroponics Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    There is no way to reset a module to factory. All the configuration is actually in the head unit not the module.
    I was curious about that. Let me ask you this, Zombie, if you delete a module from the Apex, when you re-install it, does it get all the old settings or does it start from scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderson234 View Post
    I was curious about that. Let me ask you this, Zombie, if you delete a module from the Apex, when you re-install it, does it get all the old settings or does it start from scratch?
    It starts from scratch. The only thing that's stored on the module itself if the module firmware and a few one-off exceptions (like calibration settings in the DOS). It's kind of like resetting the module to factory when you delete it and re-add, but what is actually happening is you are just clearing what is stored on the head unit. Saying you can't reset it was kind of poor wording on my part.

Hydroponics Guy
    Thanks, Zombie. So that's how you reset a module. Delete the module from Apex, probably wouldn't hurt to reboot the Apex, and then re-install the module. Good to know.

NSI Member
    I'm sure that the vast majority of users don't know the language in which you guys speak of.... ie: SSID, WPA2-PSK etc. If that was something that needed to be accomplished, it would be great to have that listed in the step by step instructions. To me I see it as a flaw in the firmware. If there were complications in trying to set up via wifi, there needs to be a disclaimer and direct new users to set up with a "wired" connection.

Adamant about wanting to be able to set up with wifi, I was unable to do so. What I did instead was to run through the wifi steps and aftyer putting in my wifi password, Although this screen went from this:

To This:

the "status light turned Off > Green > Purple> Green> Solid Orange."

I then connected the "Base Unit" directly to my router with a CAT5/6 cable and followed these intructions and stopped at this step:

and unplugged the "Base Unit" from the router and then put in the default user name and password. It went right to the generic dashboard and I was able to get right to programming the new unit.

The reason why I say it's a flaw in the firmware is because after giving the Base unit the wifi password and the status lights cycled through off, green, purple, green, solid orange, I should have been able to go to the login page via:
    http://apex.local, or http://apex, or http://172.16.0.1. But instead it wouldn't allow me to access the log in page. I had to add those extra steps just to get to the proper page.

I don't know why more people don't have this problem, I can only conclude that there is a YouTube video that chronicles the procedures correctly. But I have read many times from frustrated users that they can't get connected to the router.

SSID is the name that shows up when you select your wifi.

WPA-PSK [AES] in an encryption type you select when setting up your router and is not something you can configure in the apex. Instructions are not given because it needs to be done in your router.

apex.local will only work if you are using a PC or MAC and even then you need to replace the word apex with your hostname if you changed it.

The ip address 172.16.0.1 is only the ip address when the apex is in hotspot mode. This changes when you finish wifi setup or plug in ethernet.

NSI Member
    Thanks Zombie, thanks for the clarification. Perhaps you can answer me this:

I didn't change anything with WPA-PSK. However, all I did by connecting directly to the router was to display the login page (because it was an initial set up of a brand new apex it required the generic "admin", "1234" login and password). After I was able to view that login page on my laptop, I unplugged the CAT5/6 cable from the router and populated the boxes that required login and password. After hitting enter, it immediately logged in and I was able to complete the rest of the set up via WIFI.

Does that still point the finger at the WPA-PSK? Or does that point the finger to a firmware flaw which prevented the base unit from accessing the login page via wifi?

I understand the need for simplicity when setting up the apex to avoid confusion. If there was a troubleshooting link to provide more detailed information at each step, it would have been helpful. Believe me I know that's more work for those writing the instructions, however, why shouldn't a "second to none" controller go above and beyond to ensure that setup runs as smooth as possible? Which is why I view those instructions as incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by sisterlimonpot View Post
    Thanks Zombie, thanks for the clarification. Perhaps you can answer me this:

I didn't change anything with WPA-PSK. However, all I did by connecting directly to the router was to display the login page (because it was an initial set up of a brand new apex it required the generic "admin", "1234" login and password). After I was able to view that login page on my laptop, I unplugged the CAT5/6 cable from the router and populated the boxes that required login and password. After hitting enter, it immediately logged in and I was able to complete the rest of the set up via WIFI.

Does that still point the finger at the WPA-PSK? Or does that point the finger to a firmware flaw which prevented the base unit from accessing the login page via wifi?

I understand the need for simplicity when setting up the apex to avoid confusion. If there was a troubleshooting link to provide more detailed information at each step, it would have been helpful. Believe me I know that's more work for those writing the instructions, however, why shouldn't a "second to none" controller go above and beyond to ensure that setup runs as smooth as possible? Which is why I view those instructions as incomplete.
    Highly unlikely it's a firmware flaw. What it probably was is that the apex doesn't play nice trying to run wifi and ethernet. I haven't messed around it myself since I can't run an ethernet to my tank without getting into the walls, but I haven't heard any success in the forums

NSI Member
    How does on fix the ability for the apex to play nice in wifi when trying to connect to the ethernet?

How does on fix the ability for the apex to play nice in wifi when trying to connect to the ethernet?
    You disable the type you aren't using. Pick one or the other.

zombie's statement "... the apex doesn't play nice trying to run wifi and ethernet" is not accurate. There are a few exceptions (primarily when the Apex is used in business & education network environments), but his blanket statement is inapplicable for the vast majority of Apexes. In contrast to zombie's statement, Neptune recommends configuring the Wi-Fi connection even if Ethernet is primarily used, as stated in the Get Started Guide:

Recommendation
    Hardwired will always be the preferred, most reliable method of connecting your Apex to the Internet.
    We all know how redundancy is so valuable in our hobby, so it is recommended to still setup a Wi-Fi connection to your home network.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

NSI Member
    Russ,

I'm over it. It would be great when going through the initial steps and asked to "choose your desired network" to have a disclaimer stating "It's highly recommended that initial setup be completed through wired connection"

The biggest thing to consider is that most Apex users are not network savvy, if that were the case then Neptunes clientele wouldn't be what it is. It just would be nice that when Neptune chooses people for beta testing, that they get guys that are willing to "break" the unit to find all the weak points. It seems that the only people that are attracted to these beta testings are Nuptune groupies that just want to boast that they got the product before everyone else and don't put it through its paces. The vast majority of people that take beta testing serious are the guys like you that are very comfortable with the equipment and know how to navigate around problems such as these and overlook small hangups that folks like me get frustrated over.

New User
    I hope its ok that I hijack this thread. I'm also having the same issues. I could not connect to wifi, so I plugged the base unit directly to my router. However it does not take me to the login dashboard. Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 10.32.11 AM.png
    I only get this screen. I have reset the base unit already. Any thoughts?

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by neurosis05 View Post
    I hope its ok that I hijack this thread. I'm also having the same issues. I could not connect to wifi, so I plugged the base unit directly to my router. However it does not take me to the login dashboard. Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 10.32.11 AM.png
    I only get this screen. I have reset the base unit already. Any thoughts?

Did you managed to get the issue sorted? Cause I am facing the same issue too

New User

no wifi

Same screen
    Worked with ios but still could not connect to wifi
    will try hard connect to router

New User
    Yes, but I’m sorry I can’t remember how exactly. I think I got frustrated and unplugged everything for 48 hours. The next time I tried the login box appeared. Sorry I can’t be more help.

New User

Cool Had similar issue - resolved by technical support

Hi Everyone - new member here. Just purchased my Neptune Apex system a couple of weeks ago and had it installed on the 55 gallon saltwater tank October 29, 2020. Ran in to the same issues that everyone else was having as far as connectivity to wifi. Initially it communicated fine but then wouldn't communicate anymore with Apex Fusion. After 48 hours I removed my Apex base from the cloud service to reconnect it and hope that solved the problem. It did not. After many attempts to reconnect via suggestions found on this message board, nothing worked. I finally contacted Neptune Technical Support and they were very helpful. I just got off the phone with them. The problem was not solvable by myself. When the Trident system was connected by a 1link cable to my EB, something went wrong and messed up the Apex base programming. They had to go in to the code and do a hard reset to all factory settings using code. After this was done they were able to reconnect to my wifi and then get everything working in the cloud (Apex Fusion) as well. The Trident was reconnected while technical support was on the phone and it went as planned. Working now

Just wanted to let everyone know that sometimes when a new item is connected it can cause a hardware failure which is not really fixable on our own.