Thread: just thinking out loud...

New User

just thinking out loud...

im just shouting out loud here, hoping someone over at neptune reads this and thinks thats an good idea...( and the other ones too haha)

Neptune inline TDS meter for my RO-DI with an graph tile in fusion. know when to change your filters

if seneye can why cant apex do it? an free ammonia sensor with graph and tile in fusion.. know when **** hits the fan :p

just to blow up some old dust ( or however the expression is, forgive me, im dutch EUROPE/UK/AU MARKET NEEDS THAT EB832!!

Neptune Contactless sensors! !!!! so many things i could do with those!! lets start by fusion alarming me when i have to add more media my Dastaco2 reactor ( contact with media broken,.. "media dissolved" add more ) believe i could go on,.

Neptune controllable universal potentiometer adapter. just remove the cap of your potentiomenter, replace cap with adapter, connect to module and program as you please,.. increase the feed on your caco2 reactor if alkalinity pilot detects and decrease or vice versa ( again im dutch ) or if you have ( those cheap ali express ) dimmable led fixtures that use potentiometers ( no i dont ) you can now automate them.. hell even automate the volume of your stereo as 9 out of 10 potentiometers are universal in size ( cap holder or whatever that iron shaft thingy is called)

so much more ideas over here,..

but let see some responses on this first

regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMB View Post
    im just shouting out loud here, hoping someone over at neptune reads this and thinks thats an good idea...( and the other ones too haha)

Neptune inline TDS meter for my RO-DI with an graph tile in fusion. know when to change your filters

if seneye can why cant apex do it? an free ammonia sensor with graph and tile in fusion.. know when **** hits the fan

just to blow up some old dust ( or however the expression is, forgive me, im dutch EUROPE/UK/AU MARKET NEEDS THAT EB832!!

Neptune Contactless sensors! !!!! so many things i could do with those!! lets start by fusion alarming me when i have to add more media my Dastaco2 reactor ( contact with media broken,.. "media dissolved" add more ) believe i could go on,.

Neptune controllable universal potentiometer adapter. just remove the cap of your potentiomenter, replace cap with adapter, connect to module and program as you please,.. increase the feed on your caco2 reactor if alkalinity pilot detects and decrease or vice versa ( again im dutch ) or if you have ( those cheap ali express ) dimmable led fixtures that use potentiometers ( no i dont ) you can now automate them.. hell even automate the volume of your stereo as 9 out of 10 potentiometers are universal in size ( cap holder or whatever that iron shaft thingy is called)

so much more ideas over here,..

but let see some responses on this first

regards,

Richard
    You can already do TDS with a PM2 and cond probe. You just need to do a little DIY to make it inline.

Ammonia would kind of be nice, but you can fairly accurately determine a spike in ammonia by a drop on ORP because they are fairly well correlated and ORP does not require a whole new module with slides that need regular replacement.

Agreed on the EU EB832

Seriously doubt there is enough demand for a manual dimmer since this is the first time in 5 years on the forum I have ever seen that requested. It's really easy to just adjust your profile or wizard values to where you like it and that kind of module would not be cheap to implement.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMB View Post

I was just thinking about this yesterday when I was changing my RO filters and media and looking at my cheap TDS Meter. This has to be a product that will come out sooner or later. I would buy one in a heartbeat!

New User
    Hi! and thanks for the quick reply!

i wasnt aware of the option to do TDS with a PM2. I will shurely look into this and the steps to make it inline, however it doesnt seem like an hard thing to produce for neptune. And to be honest, it would look nice, an lets say small grey module with orange lit screen displaying your TDS wich also shows up in fusion would be neat. making my apex cabinet that much nicer and its just handy to know your acurate TDS. Stating acurate as i trust neptune to make an really acurate TDS meter :P

about the ammonia, thats work related. i work at a big import export company, im in charge of at least 70.000 litres saltwater filled to the brim with corals. Not even counting the fish and sharks rays etc...( different systems/departments than the ones i take care of but ok ) We use seneye and now im implementing apex on the coral systems. i just want to use 1 system in the end and not rely on ORP drops as this can be caused by several things when your talking systems like the ones i take care of. I look at ammonia spikes when lets say i just added 300 or so Aussie acros from Cairns. Then,.. if your not carefull you can have some serious chain reactions if 1 or more pieces fall out from shipping stress, and a good ammonia detection does let you know when **** hits the fan. and Yeah, replacing slides.. just like ill have to refill reagents in the trident im oh so waiting on... ps for those that cant wait.. look into alkatronic,.. cant do ca or mg but its an true alkalinity GOD! i love it.. keeps 10.000 liters stable as ..... AND APEX REAADY! with tile in fusion! ( ph as kh )

yeah i reallly do need that EB832, it just isnt fair to let us sit with only 6 outlets in an older type power bar. having to pay extra for 1link modules and so on,.. i want to track my power usage way more acurate than just amperage.

about the dimmer, i did not intend to use it for simple ligth dimming. apex has a bunch of options for that.. i was more thinking in the line of automating my integra controller that belongs to my dastaco2 extrema reactor, so that i could program my apex to control the dastaco as the live stock in the systems at work fluctuate quite allot. and yess implementing this at home would be nice . but with alkatronic and trident on its way this is a bit less needed but still i could imagine allot of nice ways to use a module/adapter like that.

Frequent Visitor
    @ RichardMB...
    PM2 and Conductivity probe.
    This will explain https://www.neptunesystems.com/downl...PM2_manual.pdf Starting on the bottom of page 5. Need to set the probe to the Low range.

This was an in-line pH probe holder I used to monitor the pH on a second degas chamber for a calcium reactor. (Long time ago!)
    Something along this line would also work to hold the conductivity probe in-line on a RO/DI set up.

DIY In-Line Probe Holder.png

Frequent Visitor
    I had previously given this much thought but dismissed it due to the setup introducing PVC piping into an otherwise clean RO/DI setup. If you really want to get into it, you should be reading TDS (low range conductivity) before and after the RO to verify its performance and then after DI....then complicate this with multi-stage DI. Each one needs a dedicated PM2 module. Additionally, micro-bubbles can be captured by the conductivity probe, which will cause error on those readings. All of this to account for on a system that I only run once a week for about 4 hours.

The inline TDS meters may not be intelligent but they do work for what they are. I would be really nice is Neptune came out with a cheaper multi-channel TDS meter with 1/4" fittings, not much different from HM Digital, but as of now, I don't see it.

I do plan to build a dedicated Apex Jr system for my RO/DI (remote from the tank and no easy way to run 100-ft of aquabus cable) that would include FMM units for 1/4" solenoids and flow meters. The idea would be to use thermostat cable between the two Apex systems so my tank Apex can "call for water" via a dry contact and the Apex Jr can read the "call for water" via a breakout box on a PM2. This does give me a single conductivity probe outlet but I'm not sure where I would use it. More importantly would be the 1/4" solenoids for main water, for RO Membrane Flushing (first minute each use) and for TDS Creep Wasting (first 3 minutes each use). I would have 1/4" flow meters pre and post RO so I could monitor the flowrate through my carbon block and the production rate vs waste rate on the RO to make sure it is in spec. I would also have 1/4" solenoids on the output lines to my tank's ATO and to my salt mixing tank, which are both remote. This would prevent me from adding RO/DI to the salt mixing tank while filling the DT ATO and vica versa. Also would prevent the system from putting out flush water while still flushing. Quite a bit of money honestly (Apex Jr plus four modules and add-ons) so not something I have jumped onto yet.

Quote Originally Posted by clsanchez77 View Post
    I had previously given this much thought but dismissed it due to the setup introducing PVC piping into an otherwise clean RO/DI setup. If you really want to get into it, you should be reading TDS (low range conductivity) before and after the RO to verify its performance and then after DI....then complicate this with multi-stage DI. Each one needs a dedicated PM2 module. Additionally, micro-bubbles can be captured by the conductivity probe, which will cause error on those readings. All of this to account for on a system that I only run once a week for about 4 hours.

The inline TDS meters may not be intelligent but they do work for what they are. I would be really nice is Neptune came out with a cheaper multi-channel TDS meter with 1/4" fittings, not much different from HM Digital, but as of now, I don't see it.

I do plan to build a dedicated Apex Jr system for my RO/DI (remote from the tank and no easy way to run 100-ft of aquabus cable) that would include FMM units for 1/4" solenoids and flow meters. The idea would be to use thermostat cable between the two Apex systems so my tank Apex can "call for water" via a dry contact and the Apex Jr can read the "call for water" via a breakout box on a PM2. This does give me a single conductivity probe outlet but I'm not sure where I would use it. More importantly would be the 1/4" solenoids for main water, for RO Membrane Flushing (first minute each use) and for TDS Creep Wasting (first 3 minutes each use). I would have 1/4" flow meters pre and post RO so I could monitor the flowrate through my carbon block and the production rate vs waste rate on the RO to make sure it is in spec. I would also have 1/4" solenoids on the output lines to my tank's ATO and to my salt mixing tank, which are both remote. This would prevent me from adding RO/DI to the salt mixing tank while filling the DT ATO and vica versa. Also would prevent the system from putting out flush water while still flushing. Quite a bit of money honestly (Apex Jr plus four modules and add-ons) so not something I have jumped onto yet.
    You would be better off with an energy bar and just run an aquabus over. Makes programming easier and will be cheaper.

Frequent Visitor
    Personally myself, I would like to have a cheap way to install a 2nd and possibly third temp probe without having to purchase a pm1/2/3. I have a remote sump and frag tank and would like to be able to check temperature differences between each. Would also help to determine if my pump is running/flow is restricted. I know the FMK will tell me that info but I would still like to see the temp difference between my display and my remote sump. The engineering has already been done for that. Just need to tie it up in a pretty new package.

Frequent Visitor
    This might simplify your set-up a tad.

Read post 10 & 11.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2671325

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Member No 1 View Post
    This might simplify your set-up a tad.

Read post 10 & 11.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2671325

That is just a 3-way valve with insert elbows, I already have a waste valve I added myself. I am looking to automate the process so I can call for RODI at the tank and the RO control system knows the flush the membrane and waste the creep before sending RO/DI water over to the ATO storage.

Frequent Visitor
    I would gladly spend a decent amount for a Neptune Systems TDS meter. I have said this over and over. I read TDS on the RODIs I use three times and won't be purchasing three PM2s and three conductivity probes.(and adding a ton of messy PVC and wires..... )

But thats just it.

Some of these things Neptune systems should do without us having to back-yard-engineer work arounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You can already do TDS with a PM2 and cond probe. You just need to do a little DIY to make it inline.

Ammonia would kind of be nice, but you can fairly accurately determine a spike in ammonia by a drop on ORP because they are fairly well correlated and ORP does not require a whole new module with slides that need regular replacement.

Agreed on the EU EB832

Seriously doubt there is enough demand for a manual dimmer since this is the first time in 5 years on the forum I have ever seen that requested. It's really easy to just adjust your profile or wizard values to where you like it and that kind of module would not be cheap to implement.