Thread: Solenoid Testing

Hydroponics Guy

Solenoid Testing

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.

OK, maybe I'm just dumb. It was my understanding that the Neptune Solenoid Valve was basically an electronic check valve. It flows one way only. And whether or not it flows depends on if it's Open or Closed.

I just got four new ones with the 24v adapters and decided to test one straight out of the package.

I hooked up a DI outlet line to a ball valve and then to the solenoid. I tested it both directions and unplugged & plugged directly into the 24v adapter. Here is what I found:

Against the flow (wrong way)
    OFF Full flow
    ON Trickle flow

With the flow (correct way)
    OFF No flow
    ON Full flow

To me appears the solenoid is not checking the reverse flow at all. This worries me due to syphon actions that sometimes occur.

Am I just wrong, or do I need a separate check valve with each solenoid?

And no, I only checked the one this evening. I'll begin testing the other 9 solenoids tomorrow. I'm tired.

New User
    I don't have one but I'm going to get one. I've had other solenoid valves and if the Neptune one is the same as the others - they aren't a check valve.

Why don't you just leave the output of your DI above the waterline - This way you'll never get a siphon.

Hydroponics Guy
    Unfortunately, my setup won't allow that. It's not a biggie, I have plenty of check valves. I just thought the solenoids worked differently.

Frequent Visitor
    As far as I know solenoid valves are not check valves and do not function like a check valve. They have a specific direction for water flow and either allow or do not allow the flow in that direction.

Hydroponics Guy
    Yes, it appears I was mistaken. It happens more and more lately

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNZ View Post
    As far as I know solenoid valves are not check valves and do not function like a check valve. They have a specific direction for water flow and either allow or do not allow the flow in that direction.
    ^This. Solenoids aren't check valves in any way. They are supposed to block or allow flow when the plunger is down vs up. Some solenoids are bidirectional and do not care what direction flow is. Others are gasketed to prevent pressure from affecting the plunger in only one direction to reduce construction costs. The Neptune one is the latter type.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk