Thread: Maxspect Gyre XF-250 On 0-10v Port - IS REVERSE POSSIBLE???

Frequent Visitor

Maxspect Gyre XF-250 On 0-10v Port - IS REVERSE POSSIBLE???

I am running 2 Maxspect Gyre XF-250s through 2 Icecap Modules connected to the 0-10v connection. I have them programmed to alternately ramp up and down. Left will ramp from 0-100% while the Right ramps down from 100-0%, then it will run for a while then switch. My question is, (How) Can I run the Gyres in reverse using this setup? I don't see a way in the wizzard to create a point in reverse. Thanks in advance.

You have to use the modified gyre cable and use an OSC statement to change the direction in a recurring fashion on the direction channel.

With that said, I have had bad experiences running the gyre in reverse. It's incredibly noisy, has a severely reduced flowrate for the same percentage, and tends to kick up sand. I got the modified gyre cable thinking it would be an awesome feature and have since decided to keep it forward 100% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    As zombie said you have to use the correct cable that uses both channels in the port.

Mines not noisy in reverse but it does have low flow.

I do run mine in reverse for the sole purpose of cleaning any debris that has collected off the intake side of the pump.
    I use the OSC statement and run it in reverse for 2 minutes once an hour.
    A lot of people don't think it's worth tying up a 0-10 channel to do it though so that's your call...

Frequent Visitor
    Thank you both. It took me a minute, but I understand what you are talking about. Will need to decide if it is worth it. How much backward flow will I get if I keep the default A-B Setup (Forward Flow) and spin it backwards?

Frequent Visitor
    To fully use the gyre in reverse mode and NOT get the gentle flow often referred to by many, Users have to install the proper impellers and outer cages to obtain this feature.
    By installing Two A impellers and cages OR Two B impellers and cages your pump will utilize half to push water correctly in forward with the other side gentle due to revers blades.
    Once the motor block reverses direction the backward facing blade will now push water to full potential while the other is now spinning in reverse giving gentle flow.
    This is the only way to achieve what most are after and if utilizing this feature it works great though will depend on if your Gyres are properly sized for your tank and your Rock scape, etc.
    Some folks find that it works for them while other still do not like only using half the pump in each direction.
    Going a size model larger usually will solve any of this issue and just run the speed setting a bit lower.

Above answers are correct, you are using the Y cable now provided with the GIM and you would need the single end cable for the reverse function and it will take Both Variable speed ports to obtain reverse flow and speed for one gyre / Gim