Thread: Conductivity Probe won’t dry

New User

Conductivity Probe won’t dry

I’m attempting to calibrate my conductivity probe and am having some issues (no surprise apprently).

I’m floating my calibration fluid, I rinsed my probe in RODI, let it dry over night, and have made sure my cable is not near any other cables. When I start calibrating it, I can’t get past the “dry your probe” phase. The reading settles but is never within range.

What could I be doing wrong?

Do not let the probe dry overnight. Just rinse in clean water and *gently* shake off excess liquid.

More detail here: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ll=1#post96587
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    So I rinsed the conductivity probe with RO/DI, gave it a gentle shake, dabbed it with a micro fiber cloth, made sure the wiring was separated from all nearby wires, and it still wont read dry.

Separate Issue:

pH probe wont settle when I get to 10.0 pH solution calibration. Anything I could be doing wrong? When I transfer from 7 to 10, Im shaking off excess and dabbing the probe to remove excess 7.0 fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Donoae View Post
    So I rinsed the conductivity probe with RO/DI, gave it a gentle shake, dabbed it with a micro fiber cloth, made sure the wiring was separated from all nearby wires, and it still wont read dry.

Separate Issue:

pH probe wont settle when I get to 10.0 pH solution calibration. Anything I could be doing wrong? When I transfer from 7 to 10, Im shaking off excess and dabbing the probe to remove excess 7.0 fluid.
    "Reset" the cond probe by doing a manual calibration with it unplugged and just scroll through next.

Set temp compensation to 2.2 and retry calibration. Use the same procedure to dry and for wet make sure the packet matches tank temp exactly and that you get all the bubbles out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    "Reset" the cond probe by doing a manual calibration with it unplugged and just scroll through next.

Set temp compensation to 2.2 and retry calibration. Use the same procedure to dry and for wet make sure the packet matches tank temp exactly and that you get all the bubbles out.

Ok, still nothing. When in calibration solution afterwards, the reading is coming up as 42.3 for Salt -- wayyyy off! Any tips for removing bubbles from the probe?

Tried a similar manual reset of the pH probe and am not able to calibrate the 10.0 solution.

New User
    Ok, still nothing. When in calibration solution afterwards, the reading is coming up as 42.3 for Salt -- wayyyy off! Any tips for removing bubbles from the probe?

Tried a similar manual reset of the pH probe and am not able to calibrate the 10.0 solution.

Used a new container of solution and pH probe calibrated. Still have issues with Conductivity probe.

Frequent Visitor
    I use an aerosol air duster to gently dry it off, and it is extremely sensitive to microbubbles, so after submerging it I shake it up and down in the solution to make any bubbles go away.

New User
    Still nothing. I've blown it out (as gently as possible), stirred it to help remove micro bubbles etc and still nothing. When I manual calibrate, it's settling between 650-1000 on the drying stage. Is there a possibility I got a defective probe?

Reboot the Apex. Wait a couple of minutes then try again using manual calibration.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Ok, that let me calibrate via auto calibration. Now when I kept the probe in the solution it showed up at 34.5 ppt. It should read 35ppt if accurately calibrated yes? It also looks to be off on salinity from what my refracometer by a good 4-5ppt when testing the reading in the tank (and seems to still be adjusting downward). There are no visible micro bubbles in my sump.

Ok, that let me calibrate via auto calibration. Now when I kept the probe in the solution it showed up at 34.5 ppt. It should read 35ppt if accurately calibrated yes? It also looks to be off on salinity from what my refracometer by a good 4-5ppt when testing the reading in the tank (and seems to still be adjusting downward). There are no visible micro bubbles in my sump.
    Did you make sure the packet matched tank temp when you calibrated?

Does a cup of tank water outside the tank read significantly different than in the sump?

Have you calibrated your refractometer?

New User
    I floated the packet for 2 hours in the same sump compartment at my temp probe and I didn’t take it out and use the solution until it was time for the step.

Refractometer was calibrated last week.

New User
    2 days trying to calibrate the cond probe.....this is a joke paid a ton of cash for a headache of a system setup......

hope its worth all this hassle this Neptune Apex 2016 system is causing.....

NSI Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, if after the calibration is complete and the probe is still in the 53,000 solution (floating in temperature controlled tank water) shouldn't the reading be 35.0??

New User
    I had same issue today with a brand new probe. Literally just dipped it in saltwater, dried it off, and then replugged it and then it was able to read.