Thread: Feed mode for DC pumps

Frequent Visitor

Feed mode for DC pumps

I have a fundamental lack of understanding of profiles, I admit that. I have a VarioS return pump that runs at 39%. I have the cable that correctly connects it to Var3 (Var4 will be for the skimmer some day).
    I cannot understand how to set a profile to make it 10% for 15 min when I hit FeedA.
    In the pump control, I could add the line:
    If FeedA 000 Then Return_Slow (Where Return_Slow is my profile)
    But making the profile itself to run how I want is not clear to me. Help?

You don't need a profile to do that. How long is FeedA? If it's 15 minutes, your command above is If FeedA 000 Then 10. If FeedA is less than 15 minutes, just add the extra time in place of 000 to keep the pump going slow for however long after FeedA ends.

Frequent Visitor
    WOW, fast reply! Thanks!
    So the code for a DC pump “If FeedA 000 Then 10”, the “10” refers to the % speed of the Var outlet? I know the “000” refers to the time addition to the length of “FeedA”. For me, I have FeedA as 15 already. When I get the skimmer pump, and want it to slow for 5 min more than the return, the line for the skimmer will be “If FeedA 005 Then 10”.
    I just didn’t realize the “10” in your statement controlled the Var3 voltage. Neat.

Feed mode for DC pumps

The ability to directly specify a percent value for some statements and some output types is a relatively recent enhancement. You can read more about it here: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-5-03-and-4-53
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpderksen View Post
    WOW, fast reply! Thanks!
    So the code for a DC pump “If FeedA 000 Then 10”, the “10” refers to the % speed of the Var outlet? I know the “000” refers to the time addition to the length of “FeedA”. For me, I have FeedA as 15 already. When I get the skimmer pump, and want it to slow for 5 min more than the return, the line for the skimmer will be “If FeedA 005 Then 10”.
    I just didn’t realize the “10” in your statement controlled the Var3 voltage. Neat.
    Yes, except for your skimmer the better way is to use this basic form and add extra features you want or remove statements if you dont have that device

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Output ReturnName percent < 20 Then OFF
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then OFF
    If HighSumpSwitch OPEN Then OFF
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Thank you, Russ, as always. Seems there is always something new that I don’t even realize. I just found, today, that I could update the module firmware from the dashboard. Who knew?

Zombie, I’ll need to digest your code a little to make sense of the statements. I don’t really understand the “If Output ....OFF”, or “If Power....OFF” ones. But maybe I don’t need to until I actually order the DC Skimmer pump. It’s just a Mag18 right now.

Thank you, Russ, as always. Seems there is always something new that I don’t even realize. I just found, today, that I could update the module firmware from the dashboard. Who knew?

Zombie, I’ll need to digest your code a little to make sense of the statements. I don’t really understand the “If Output ....OFF”, or “If Power....OFF” ones. But maybe I don’t need to until I actually order the DC Skimmer pump. It’s just a Mag18 right now.
    The if Output line means

When the percentage of the return pump is less than 20 percent than turn off the skimmer

The if power line means

If the apex loses power or reboots, turn off for the first minute following either and the defer waits another 5.

Both lines are used to make sure the skimmer is off when water level is high enough to cause and overflow of skimmate.

Frequent Visitor
    That makes sense. My primary reason for spending $300+ on a DC skimmer pump is to NOT have it just turn off, and lose it’s head, but just to lower it a bunch. Of course, there is power savings and heat, but it would take a LONG time for that to cover the cost of the pump.

That makes sense. My primary reason for spending $300+ on a DC skimmer pump is to NOT have it just turn off, and lose it’s head, but just to lower it a bunch. Of course, there is power savings and heat, but it would take a LONG time for that to cover the cost of the pump.
    For a DC pump the same principles apply but you could replace ON with a profile that ramps up from the lowest used percentage to your desired percentage (over 5+ minutes) and replace some or all of the OFF lines with a reduced percentage that maintains some head without risking overflow.