Thread: ATK Sensor Assembly Magnet Slipping becoming weak

Regular Vistor

ATK Sensor Assembly Magnet Slipping becoming weak

Has anyone else experienced this?

Basically I have the ATK located in the return chamber with the return pump. I've noticed the water level here has dropped some. On inspection the ATK sensor module has slipped down. It also feels as if the magnet has become weakened over time?

Curious if anyone else has had a similar issue?

In my tank build thread towards the bottom of the first page you can see a picture where it is installed.
    - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ra...-build.337914/

I suppose I could place some of that foam filter under the magnet to help hold it up but it used to hold just fine.

Should I try and relocate the ATK somewhere else in the sump?

Thanks!

Hydroponics Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxnar View Post
    Has anyone else experienced this?

Basically I have the ATK located in the return chamber with the return pump. I've noticed the water level here has dropped some. On inspection the ATK sensor module has slipped down. It also feels as if the magnet has become weakened over time?

Curious if anyone else has had a similar issue?

In my tank build thread towards the bottom of the first page you can see a picture where it is installed.
    - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ra...-build.337914/

I suppose I could place some of that foam filter under the magnet to help hold it up but it used to hold just fine.

Should I try and relocate the ATK somewhere else in the sump?

Thanks!
    I just use Gorilla tape across the back of the magnet (vertically) to keep it from shifting. Mine really shifts on my plastic basins without the tape. Besides, I got tired of straining to reach behind the basin to grab the magnet.

Frequent Visitor
    Hello,

I only notice a angled shift when the water level reaches the float switch usually when I power off my return pump. it's just like a 5% angle in a 8mm glass. so I don't thing the magnets are that strong!

Aside from that I have mine installed in over a year with no problems whatsoever.

All the best,
    Rui

Regular Vistor
    Good Ol' Gorilla tape lol.

I may try that.

I may also just prop it with some of the filter block or a custom cut piece of marine pure block. Either should help nicely. My only concern with it slipping in this chamber is that it has caused air to get sucked in slightly and cause some aeration. Not normally a huge issue, however, a couple times it was aerating for a few hours and some of the bubbles ended up making its way back to down the overflow and interfering with the Salinity probe. A quick tap usually corrects the probe but is annoying.

Was just curious if it was an issue with the strength of the magnet as it held in the beginning like a rock and didn't budge a mm.

Thanks guys!

Check for slime/crud/salt on the glass and the silicone pad on both magnets.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Check for slime/crud/salt on the glass and the silicone pad on both magnets.
    yea maybe just a good cleaning will help. Good call.

New User
    I’m having similar issues (my sump glass thickness is 10mm). Is there a way to ‘upgrade’ the magnet holders? Thanks

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    My ATK has slipped out of position on 4mm glass ever since day one, so in my case I don't think it's because the magnet is getting weaker over time. The problem I have is whenever the return chamber water level increases (like during feed mode when the return pump slows down and skimmer stops), the float valve twists the whole assembly at an angle. I'm considering clamping or gluing a plastic block in place adjacent to the ATK sensor holder so it can't move due to the float valve forcing it up.