Thread: ATO back siphon from display to fresh reservoir

New User

ATO back siphon from display to fresh reservoir

Anyone having issues with a back siphon from your sump or display into your fresh water reservoir? I have a biocube with no sump, the ATO is in a reservoir and the tubing goes out the back of the cabinet and up over the top of the tank and into the back of the display to keep track of water level. The tube goes above the water level of the tank but I notice every once in a while when I do a water change the display tank will be low on water but wasn't when I started. Today I was able to confirm that the display is siphoning into the fresh water reservoir because I knew the reservoir was low/empty before I started the water change since I put one gallon of water into the 2 gallon reservoir. When I was done with the water change and turned on the return pump it started making noises like air was getting mixed into the pump. I looked at the tank and what do you know water is low even though I am taking out and putting in the same amount of water. When I looked at my freshwater reservoir it was almost full. How is this even happening? The water tube is ABOVE the lvl of the display tanks max water. Oo I even taste tested the freshwater reservoir and it was slightly salty, just in case my mind was playing tricks on me and I didn't fill the reservoir from the one gallon I put in before the water change, lol.

What ATO are you using?

Why did you post this in the DC24 Ports & Peripherals forum?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

What you say you are experiencing is only possible if the ATO pump turns on while the outlet tubing for the ATO is under water. It is not physically possible for what you said to occur unless that happens. Determine why that is occurring and reposition the output tube so that is impossible to occur.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk