Thread: FMM - Disconnecting?

Frequent Visitor

FMM - Disconnecting?

Before I open a ticket, I want to ask if anyone else has had a problem with an FMM Module randomly becoming disconnected.

This seems to happen once every week or so. It just happens out of the blue, and at random times.

The light will be flashing yellow, I disconnect/reconnect the module, and it will be fine for a week or two.

I have 2 FMM's on my system. Only one is giving me fits.

So anyone else seeing this issue?

It's disconnected again. As you can see by the straight line on the output, this is how I know
    something is a miss.

FMM - Issue.JPG

All are up to date.

Modules.JPG

Disconnected

FMM - Disconnected.JPG

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Yes, this has happened to my FMM several times in the past few months. I have 3 FMM modules, and the one with the problem has 4 flow sensors attached. I opened a ticket with Neptune Support and they suspected one of my flow sensors may be faulty and causing the FMM to lock up. They recommended trying to isolate which flow sensor is causing the problem by disconnecting all of them, then adding them back one by one over a several day period. It took me about 2 weeks, but I eventually did narrow it down to one of my 1/2" flow sensors. I've left that one unplugged for quite a while and the FMM has been fine since. Neptune offered to RMA the flow sensor, but in my situation I was already planning to shut down the particular reactor I had that flow sensor on, so I just left it disconnected.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the feedback.

I have (2) FMM modules, the one acting up has (3) flow sensors and a optical sensor, the other which is working fine has (4) optical sensors.

As Neptune suggested to you, the next time it locks up, by process of elimination, I will determine which device is causing the issue.

I can then use this information to contact support.

Thanks again for the info.

Frequent Visitor

***** update *****

I am continuing to have an issue with this module, however, a new issue has cropped up.

I'm still getting the disconnection as before, but on Sunday morning, when I checked Fusion,
    all of the tiles associated with it were gone. I then noticed I had a notification that I had "NEW" tiles
    available. HUH? So I looked to see what they were, and low and behold, I had 4 new tiles,
    (3) Flow meters, (1) optic. Same as before. So I looked on the module page, and it showed I now
    have (3) FMM's where as before I had (2). FMM_3 shows disconnected, FMM_5 status is OK, and
    FMM_14 is new. Thing is, I didn't add a third FMM! So I deleted FMM_3, then programmed FMM_14
    to be the same as FMM_3 was.
    All seemed to be working, and I was hoping that this would end my disconnecting issues. Well that bit
    of joy was short lived. Last night, the FMM_14 while still showing as connected (Green Status Light)
    all of the tiles on the dashboard were gone, but there weren't any "NEW" tiles available.
    I unplugged/plugged the module back in, Fusion showed I now have "New" tiles. But when I check,
    the are all digital switched. Open up the module page, it only list the FMM_5 & FMM_14, so I proceed
    to configure FMM_14, and all (4) ports are auto select and set to water on floor. After changing them
    to the correct type and un-selecting Auto Select, I sent the update to APEX.
    Tiles now read correct.
    The optical sensor that's connect to this FMM is set up to let me know when my filter socks need
    to be changed. It triggers a virtual outlet to turn on, which in turn tell the email there is an issue.
    I then get a notification. The virtual outlet then turns off after being on for a minute, so I don't keep
    getting repeated email notifications. Last night Fusion showed the sensor CLOSED, however it never
    triggered the virtual outlet. I changed the socks, sensor was now open as expected. I even tried to
    simulate the high water level, the sensor did report closed, but again didn't trigger the outlet.
    (Yes I made sure it was in AUTO). I turned the virtual outlet on, and as expected, I received an
    email.

I will add, that will trying to go thru the programming last night, I did get a Server down, we are working
    on it, please check back soon. I even logged out of Fusion, tried several times without any luck. After
    15-20 minutes, I was able to log back in.

Might be time to open a ticket. I think this particular FMM module is junk, as the other one I have has never
    disconnected.

See anything below?

VO Clean_Filter
    Set OFF
    If SockHi CLOSED Then ON
    Defer 001:00 Then ON
    When On > 001:00 Then OFF

Email Alarm
    Set OFF
    If Error COR_Return Then ON
    If Tank < 75.0 Then ON
    If Tank > 83.0 Then ON
    If Sump < 75.0 Then ON
    If Sump > 83.0 Then ON
    If Output Heater-Fail = ON Then ON
    If Output Sump_High = ON Then ON
    If Output Sump_Low = ON Then ON
    If Output Sump_Min = ON Then ON
    If FeedA 030 Then OFF
    If FeedB 030 Then OFF
    If FeedC 030 Then OFF
    If Power EB832_Main Off 001 Then ON
    If Power EB832_2nd Off 001 Then ON
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then ON
    If Output Pw_Restored = ON Then ON
    If Output Clean_Filter = ON Then ON
    Defer 000:30 Then ON
    Defer 000:30 Then OFF

Regular Vistor
    I run one FMM that has ports 1 and 2 set up for the low and high water sensors for my ATK. Port 3 is a 1" flow sensor for my Vectra M1, which supplies my two UV sterilizers and calcium reactor. Port 4 is another 1" sensor for my Vectra L1 return pump. Last week, I came home to the ATK being offline with the High water optical sensor (port 2) stuck closed and the smaller Vectra pulling in air, and the flow sensor at Port 4 missing on the dashboard. I power cycled the FMM and individually unplugged all sensor cords and plugged them all back in. The ATK returned to normal function, and the flow sensor at Port 3 is functioning. There is no tile for the return pump's sensor. The FMM doesn't even register anything being plugged into Port 4. Is there any way to figure out whether my sensor that I've only been running for about 6 months is bad or if I have a bum FMM?

Frequent Visitor
    Is it possible you have a loop in your aquabus? I see you have a DOS and I made the mistake of plugging the DOS into the EB832 1Link without thinking it's more than power it's also aquabus, so I also plugged in the USB(type) connector into the same EB832 and a couple of my modules were dropping and re-adding at a higher bus number. Once I removed the USB I never had the issue again.

Frequent Visitor
    Good suggestion!
    But in my case, that isn't the issue, I made sure that a loop didn't happen.

I have (2) DOS, both in the basement, first is connected to my MAIN EB823 via 1Link,
    second is connected to the first via 1Link, then I have a EB4 connected via Aquabus.

These are rock solid.

The FFM in question is connected as follows:
    EB832 -> FFM -> FMM -> PM1 -> WXM
    These are in series.
    When the first FFM becomes disconnected or locks up (Yellow flashing LED) the other (3) modules
    continue to function fine.
    I did recently add a second COR20 to drive my skimmer, the was plugged into the WXM, was fine
    for a few days, then I found it flashing RED. I unplugged the Aquabus, reconnected, it was fine
    for a day or two, then the same thing. It's now connected directly to the EB832, and without any
    further issues.
    The FFM is still acting weird.
    I have a support call scheduled for later today. See what happens.

Regular Vistor
    Any update? What did Neptune support say? I've had almost the same situation, as have several others apparently.

New User
    Old thread but still happening here, to my only FMM mod.
    Any clue?