Thread: Program help, chiller program

New User

Program help, chiller program

New to Apex Fusion. Chiller set to go on at 78 off at 77.5 live in florida always have electrical flickers so want to put a 10 min delay on power outage. would this be correct. Thanks for all your help.

1. Fallback OFF
    2. If Temp > 78.0 Then ON
    3. If Temp < 77.5 Then OFF
    4. If Output Pump = OFF Then OFF
    5. If power apex off 001 then off
    6. Defer 0010:00 Then ON

The If Power command will prevent the chiller from turning ON for at least 1 min after power is restored to the Apex. However, the Defer will delay the chiller from turning ON by 10 minutes for any condition.

So, under normal conditions (no loss of power), the Temp will have to be above 78 for at least 10 minutes before the chiller would turn ON.

If power has just been restored and the Temp is above 78, the soonest it could turn ON would be after 11 minutes.

New User
    Thanks Todd. So should I just delete line 6 and increase the If Power command on line 5 to 10 mins. Hate these short power surges we constantly get especially in the summer. Your help is greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Spud Williams View Post
    Thanks Todd. So should I just delete line 6 and increase the If Power command on line 5 to 10 mins. Hate these short power surges we constantly get especially in the summer. Your help is greatly appreciated
    That depends on whether you also want a defer to apply for say when the pump turns back on after being off. The defer applies to all conditions (including temp setpoint) whereas the power statement only applies to power outages.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I recommend to design around the normal behavior and then add off-nominal conditions. So, choose the Defer duration based on the desired Temp behavior first and then the power scenario. I generally use the Defer to filter out spurious probe fluctuations, usually less than a minute. Therefore, I might swap the values. Use a Defer of 1 minute and Power of 10 minutes.

A better approach would be to provide backup power to the Apex in some manner. That would give you the ability to have the Apex change behavior actively. The lowest level would be a small UPS to provide power to the Apex via the Aux Power port. The approach I use is to have one EB8 on a UPS and another on mains. Non-critical hardware is on the mains EB8 and obviously shuts down without power. With power loss detected, the critical hardware changes behavior to conserve battery power.

Regular Vistor
    Hi,
    Is there a way/ programming code to send an alert when the chiller is not working in the last 2 hours? I have a regular chiller (not apex ready) connected to the energy bar on outlet1 and want to make sure is always. Using the energy consumption is not possible because when the chiller is on but not on a cooling state the energy consumption shows 0.
    Thanks for helping me

Quote Originally Posted by eliasmugrabi View Post
    Hi,
    Is there a way/ programming code to send an alert when the chiller is not working in the last 2 hours? I have a regular chiller (not apex ready) connected to the energy bar on outlet1 and want to make sure is always. Using the energy consumption is not possible because when the chiller is on but not on a cooling state the energy consumption shows 0.
    Thanks for helping me
    ChillFail
    Set OFF
    If Output ChillerName Watts < 50 Then ON
    Defer 120:00 Then ON

Email
    If Output ChillFail = ON Then ON

Regular Vistor
    Hi Zombie thanks for replying,
    So I need to create a virtual output ? Then paste the chillfail code on that output and then on email alert the other part? What exactly the code will do? I do not want to turn on or off the chiller outlet , I only want to send an alert if In 2 hours the chiller hasn’t turned on. Is the code is right for that ?

Hi Zombie thanks for replying,
    So I need to create a virtual output ? Then paste the chillfail code on that output and then on email alert the other part? What exactly the code will do? I do not want to turn on or off the chiller outlet , I only want to send an alert if In 2 hours the chiller hasn’t turned on. Is the code is right for that ?
    Your thought process is correct on the setup.

This code would alert you if the chiller was told to be ON by the apex but it didn't actually turn on the compressor for 2 hours continuously.

Regular Vistor
    Hi Zombie,
    What I need is to alert when the chiller spent more than 2 hours without turning on. I mean if the chiller outlet watts does not increase in 2 hours , this means I have a problem with the chiller and need to alert that.
    Is the same programing code?

Hi Zombie,
    What I need is to alert when the chiller spent more than 2 hours without turning on. I mean if the chiller outlet watts does not increase in 2 hours , this means I have a problem with the chiller and need to alert that.
    Is the same programing code?
    If the chiller is the primary control and apex is the backup, then what I showed means exactly the same thing. If the apex is turning it on and off, the watts statement turns false when the outlet is off, so it won't tell you if the chiller is cycling.

Regular Vistor
    Hi, thanks , I think I have got it.
    Question, what happened if just when the 2 hours finished the chiller is off? This will alert? The defer command make this to wait 2 hours until check again? Or how this works?

Hi, thanks , I think I have got it.
    Question, what happened if just when the 2 hours finished the chiller is off? This will alert? The defer command make this to wait 2 hours until check again? Or how this works?
    The timer restarts any time the wattage goes above 50.

Regular Vistor
    You’re the master, many thanks , just wrote the code, let’s see how this works. Thanks