Thread: WAV in Red Sea E260

New User

WAV in Red Sea E260

Been researching for a while now and it seems as though some are successful with WAVs being installed in this size tank and others say don't waste your time as the pumps are too strong. I understand rock work and coral type all make a difference but hoping a pic along with a short description will help hopefully get some good recommendations.

As title says, I have a Red Sea E260 that I've converted to undercabinet sump. I currently have two Jebao RW-8's on opposite sides with issues of deadspots. I have a new Apex with the EB832 so looking to clean up wires, do some varied flows, and hopefully provide a better environment for the tank. Corals include a mix of both SPS and LPS (LPS is all located lower in tank).

Thanks for any guidance and suggestions in advance!

IMG_20180606_134623.jpg

I have a WAV and a Gyre in my 65 gallon and I can put it all the way to about 60% before it becomes "too much". Most of those reports of flow being too strong for smaller tanks used sugar sand, which doesnt play nice with the WAV (or other pumps running SPS flow levels for that matter) even on larger tanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Side note, you should be doing 3000-6000 gph of total flow in that size tank for SPS dominant anyway, which 2 WAVs or 1 WAV and another type of pump is right on the money for.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I have a WAV and a Gyre in my 65 gallon and I can put it all the way to about 60% before it becomes "too much". Most of those reports of flow being too strong for smaller tanks used sugar sand, which doesnt play nice with the WAV (or other pumps running SPS flow levels for that matter) even on larger tanks.

No I don't think so (I have sugar sand in a large tank), there are many variables. Width, Length, Height, AquaScape, Positioning. One really cannot assume anything. Nothing definitive. You have to experiment and find the resonance (sweep spot) of how your equipment functions in your tank; in your setup.

New User
    Thanks for the responses and input. Curious thoughts on having one WAV vs two. Seems some guys with this size tank are running just a single WAV vs two opposite each other but I'm not sure how effective the flow would be with a single WAV. With the amount of water movement these pumps are capable of perhaps it doesn't matter either.

Again, appreciate all the input and suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by cfendya View Post
    Thanks for the responses and input. Curious thoughts on having one WAV vs two. Seems some guys with this size tank are running just a single WAV vs two opposite each other but I'm not sure how effective the flow would be with a single WAV. With the amount of water movement these pumps are capable of perhaps it doesn't matter either.

Again, appreciate all the input and suggestions!
    You wi want a second pump of any type to help fill in dead spots and create more turbulence. Whether that is using the Jebaos you already have, getting a second WAV, or buying a new pump from a different manufacturer is entirely up to you. I went with a gyre because I only had one energy bar and I didn't want a single point of failure on flow if the 24V power supply in that energy bar failed, though I could have just gotten a 1link to solve that potential issue.

New User
    You wi want a second pump of any type to help fill in dead spots and create more turbulence. Whether that is using the Jebaos you already have, getting a second WAV, or buying a new pump from a different manufacturer is entirely up to you. I went with a gyre because I only had one energy bar and I didn't want a single point of failure on flow if the 24V power supply in that energy bar failed, though I could have just gotten a 1link to solve that potential issue.

Perfect, I ordered two WAVs so hoping having them dialed down won't cause a mess as well issues for my tank mates . Thanks again for all the input and will check back with an update as to how things go.

Frequent Visitor

This.