Thread: Help with Salinity Probe

New User

Help with Salinity Probe

Hey everyone, seems to be a lot of discussion about this proble.

I just got the Apex 2016 today New. I have followed the directions and when I get to the Salinity probe. It is bone dry, right out of the box, I go to calabtrate it and it just says, “Dry the Conductivity Probe”. ?? It has never been wet? Any ideas?

AA8AB7D7-4451-4D5B-8E4E-080EB5E3C18E.jpg

Regular Vistor
    It needs to calibrate in the air. You just need to proceed with that step while it is dry as it came.

Quote Originally Posted by ballpython06 View Post
    It needs to calibrate in the air. You just need to proceed with that step while it is dry as it came.
    This is not recommended. The probe should soak in the sump at least overnight and then you should rinse the probe with RODI and pad dry with a paper towel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    This is not recommended. The probe should soak in the sump at least overnight and then you should rinse the probe with RODI and pad dry with a paper towel.

Is that even with the Apex 2016? I have seen mixed things about this that it should only be soaked when using the module? False?

Will soaking it overnight clear the error?

Quote Originally Posted by Timrpn View Post
    Is that even with the Apex 2016? I have seen mixed things about this that it should only be soaked when using the module? False?

Will soaking it overnight clear the error?
    Soaking helps the probe "settle in" so you dont have to recalibrate after the film builds on the probe. It usually helps that error you are getting too, but on occasion you also have to "reset" the probe too by doing a manual calibration with the probe unplugged.

Regular Vistor
    Sorry for the incorrect information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ballpython06 View Post
    Sorry for the incorrect information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you watch the BRS video, it makes perfect sense why you would think that (they actually state exactly what you said in their video). Problem is the BRS guys didn't confer with experienced apex users, neptune, or take some time to understand the physics behind the probe itself before they made that video. So the video ends up missing some really important stuff like dry doesn't actually mean dry but instead means wet but no water creating a physical path between the two glass probes, that drying several hours is a waste of time, or that failing to match calibration solution to tank temp can skew readings up to 5ppt.

Hydroponics Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    ... that failing to match calibration solution to tank temp can skew readings up to 5ppt.
    I did not know that. Thank you.

Regular Vistor
    I've been trying over and over again following BRS's steps, and continuing to fail miserably. I'm going to try it the way you mentioned above.

New User

Please help!

First I want to say that I have not followed any other guide's, only Neptune's "easy startup" guide and have found that it has been everything but "easy". They should rename it to "very hard startup guide!" Out of the box it said to plug the unit in and connect to home network Next it says plug all four probes into the base unit and place the temp probe and ORP probe into the tank then it goes on to say that in most cases the temp probe will auto calibrate, and to set up cond just go under probe settings, select cond probe, and hit auto calibrate. this is the point that I realized that nothing is working. Step 1; press ok when ready to begin: so i pressed ok. Step 2; dry cond probe: and from there I assumed it implied that I was supposed to put the cond prob into the water in order to have to dry it. So I canceled the auto calibrate, placed the probe in the water and started step 1 again; press ok when ready step 2; dry probe: and from there I'm having the same problems that other members have been talking about. That is when I realized that my temp is stuck at 20.6 no matter what I do and I have four readings from four probes even when they are all unplugged...
    I spent 2 hours dealing with this before I went to bed and have been consumed with it since I woke up for work @ 4a.m.

New User

Talking Update

I was able to find another thread that someone suggested removing the Apex from my Fusion account which cleared out any and all data. So I did that and pressed reset on the base unit. Then I logged onto the Apex local and generated a token to link back to my Fusion account. As soon as I did that the three probes that I had in the tank were sending what appears to be normal readings since (I still need to calibrate the cond probe because I have been to busy to do it yet) but at least it reads anywhere between 26 and 30 ppt.

Just know that removing the Apex from your Fusion account will lose any and all data. You will not be able to retrieve it again!