Thread: Need some help brainstorming

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar

Need some help brainstorming

Hey all,

I have a koi pond and it is a constant battle to keep heron from eating my fish. For whatever reason, there is not a good commercially available deterrent. Anyway, I'm trying to think of some kind of small device that, when plugged in, will move and make some noise. Heron are easily spooked and the idea is to put this on a timer to go off maybe every 10 - 30 minutes. Something that is not so obnoxious that it would bother us when we are outside enjoying the yard. And it has to be outdoor weatherproof. I dont care what the device is originally designed for, as long as it makes a little bit of motion and noise!
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

Did you try a Japanese deer hammer? We had one years ago when we had a koi pond in our backyard and it worked pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    No I have never heard of that. Just googled and it looks like a bamboo fountain that moves? Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

I'm sure that would be worth a try at least. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, it would go with the feng shui of a koi pond well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
    No I have never heard of that. Just googled and it looks like a bamboo fountain that moves? Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's like a teeter-tooter. It fills with water then tips to drain the water. When it tips the end slams against a piece of wood making a sharp wracking noise. Then it rights itself and refills. And it happens all over. They were used to chase deer away from ponds so they wouldn't eat the decorative water flowers. But they work to keep most nuisance critters away. Beats a propane cannon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

New User
    A friend used a motion-activated sprinkler to protect his Koi pond. The Deer hammers are nice, also.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by PDX View Post
    A friend used a motion-activated sprinkler to protect his Koi pond. The Deer hammers are nice, also.
    I use this to deter Cats and birds in my Garden outside its funny to watch.

Propane cannons work well too for scaring off unwanted visitors. They also have the added benefit of just being fun to play with. After all, who doesn't enjoy playing with things that go "BOOM!"?