Thread: Need some thoughts on my AWC programming please

Regular Vistor

Need some thoughts on my AWC programming please

Hey All,

I am using a DOS pump for AWC. Rather than have both in and out run at the same time, I do a four step process:

1) Disable ATO
    2) Remove Old SW
    3) Replenish New SW
    4) Enable ATO

This all takes place between 7:00 and 8:00 am. I use a virtual outlet as a sort of "Master Switch" to enable and disable the entire process. A couple of things happening here.

The virtual outlet turns on at 6:59 and off at 8:01. This action disables the ATO and allows the DOS pumps to run (master OFF statement in DOS programming). To stop the process, I can either turn the virtual outlet off manually, or if the water level in my new SW reservoir is low, it turns off the virtual outlet.

Here is my code for the virtual "Master" outlet:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 06:59 to 08:01 Then ON
    If Sw4 CLOSED Then OFF

What I would like to do is add some coding so that once the process is started, it will be allowed to complete before turning off. That way if the salt water reservoir gets low, it will complete today's run but inhibit tomorrow's. My initial thought is to only enable the outlet for one minute, but add either a min time or defer statement to prevent it from turning off for at least an hour. This would always allow the dosing cycle to complete if it has been started

I'm curious about any thoughts others might have though. Thanks in advance all,

CS

You want to add

Min Time 062:00 Then ON

I would also suggest adding additional failsafes like a low level optical or float (I would get one if you dont have one, you want 3 level sensors in your sump if you do AWC) and conductivity out of range. I would also recommend renaming your switches so they are easier to see what they do from a glance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

After thinking about this some more, I would also make you if time statement 06:59 to 07:00 so you dont run the risk of having the switch be closed say 30 minutes into the process and then open for a seconds because of noise or a wave and then trigger only the addition part.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you Zombie,

Great suggestions. I modified the code as follows:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 06:59 to 07:00 Then ON
    If Sw4 CLOSED Then OFF

I'll watch carefully tomorrow to see if everything works as I'd hoped. Might even manually trip the low level float at 7:30 to see if it finishes.

Regarding the high level sensor. I'm using a Tunze Osmolator so my ATO is self contained. A high level switch would be nice in the event that the DOS pump (new SW side) was to get stuck in the ON position. I know this can be common with the cheapo Jebao dosing pumps, but have you ever heard of it happening to a Neptune pump?

Quote Originally Posted by casalamone View Post
    Thank you Zombie,

Great suggestions. I modified the code as follows:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 06:59 to 07:00 Then ON
    If Sw4 CLOSED Then OFF

I'll watch carefully tomorrow to see if everything works as I'd hoped. Might even manually trip the low level float at 7:30 to see if it finishes.

Regarding the high level sensor. I'm using a Tunze Osmolator so my ATO is self contained. A high level switch would be nice in the event that the DOS pump (new SW side) was to get stuck in the ON position. I know this can be common with the cheapo Jebao dosing pumps, but have you ever heard of it happening to a Neptune pump?
    The high level sensor isn't a failsafe in case the DOS pump sticks ON (the only way that would happen is if you manually put the slider in ON or a catastrophic hardware failure, neither of which programming would do anything for). You would want one to verify that the water level and conductivity are both in a narrow acceptable bound so you don't skew salinity by removing water that doesn't roughly match the new water salinity.

Regular Vistor
    Yeah, I guess in order for it to function as a failsafe I would need to plug the DOS into an EB8 outlet and disable power in the event that the high level sensor switched. This is what I do with the cheapo Jebao I'm using to dose 2 part. If the pH spikes it kills power to the pump. In any event, I'm out of open outlets so I guess that's not really an option with the DOS pump right now. And hopefully it would have been overkill anyway.

My DOS pumps are calibrated very closely to each other. Not that they won't lose calibration over time, but its working well at the moment. Hopefully I can add the conductivity probe in the future. A conductivity stop would be a great failsafe.

Thanks again