Thread: AWC using DOS // QUESTIONS

Frequent Visitor

AWC using DOS // QUESTIONS

I just traded a few things for a used DOS. Originally I had planned on using a different method for my AWC's then this opportunity came up.

Anyway I setup the AWC using the Apex Tasks, but the AWC is incredibly slow, 12mL/min...is that the standard or can it be increased?

Lastly, is it still recommended to use a high/low float switch for a dump and refill? Or better to have it dump/fill at the same time?

Slow continuous using the wizard is much easier and results in a more stable system. The one drawback is that it takes a little bit more water to remove the same amount of nutrients compared to a single dump then add. For a continuous change, just use the wizard and set the desired change over 24 hours and add any failsafes (like cond out of range, low/high level switches, low NSW reservoir, etc) in the advanced tab of the wizard.

Dump then fill is slightly more efficient in water use, but is significantly more complex and wears the heads/motors out faster. If you want to go that route, you need to verify that levels and parameters are acceptable and there is enough NSW to finish the change just before it starts using an enable virtual outlet, then disable your ATO and run the change.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Okay..good to know.

So with the 24hr schedule, it’s basically running constantly then no? Or does it shut off for periods of time?

Frequent Visitor
    It will do intervals spread out over the time period. In this case 24hrs. The programming will spread out the doses every 10min over that time in most cases I believe, until you get into pretty large volumes. You offset the timing of each head with the start time of the 2nd head. Then verify the pump on times don't overlap.

Heres 2 gallons then 5 gallons.

Frequent Visitor
    I used the AWC Wizard and this is how it set mine up.

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 8.11.33 AM.jpg

Frequent Visitor
    I haven't done a lot of experimenting with volumes I'm not needing. Most of what I've done shows up with 10 min intervals. I'm sure Zombie or Russ now how yhe algorithm works inside and out.

I don't think 11 minutes will work though as it's likely to have overlaps at points throughout the day. I'll thinker with it and do a search of the board while you await one of the others to reply.

Also, remember, you set the offset between the pumps with their start times.

*Edit* I was in traffic waiting for a train to pass when I read the your last post and missed the wizard part.

If you're using the wizard I believe it will be setup right and will not overlap.

There’s no need to offset times for Add and Remove when doing AWC. Just follow the AWC section of the DOS Get Started guide.

The idea is to do both at the same time, in sync. It is easy to setup and since identical amounts of old tank water and new saltwater are being removed and added concurrently, the level in the sump doesn’t change.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the update Russ. I have another question.

I've been thinking about adding a 2nd DOS to do AWC's but my total system volume is 325 gallons and 10% is 4.6gal/day.
    Would you worry about cross over where a percentage of the new water is pulled out during the changes?

I don’t worry about it. Zombie already discussed this a bit - that factor is not significant.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

The factor isn't huge. It takes 36% more water in a continuous change to exactly match a single large remove then fill.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

In general, run the relevant task, follow the bouncing ball, and don't overthink it. It's not complicated.

If you're absolutely desperate for something complicated to do, I hear that jobs at Lockheed pay pretty well.

Frequent Visitor
    I was looking at it more from the nutrient export side of things, not making the salinity shift.
    One of my returns comes out a little below a long c2c overflow. Even then I'm sure any new water pulled out with a change is going to be very, very low and I was still over thinking it