Thread: Power usage of Aquabus devices

Regular Vistor

Power usage of Aquabus devices

I'm in the early stages of working on a DIY UPS in a remote location. My electrician has also already run a dual plug outlet to the wall behind the tank. As opposed to using the 12v converter just to keep the controller itself online I have been planning to keep just one of my four energy bars on the UPS to keep the Aquabus itself powered. This would also keep the WXM working for the two Vortechs I'll have running as well.

I'm apparently looking in the wrong places though because I'm not finding anything about the power requirements for each Aquabus device. I'm sure most of them are quite small since even the controller adapter would only be 500ma from what I've found. However, I would still like to total up all my devices and be sure I have everything accounted for. Also, even if I find that information, would the Aquabus components in an un-powered energy bar use anything at all? I would also have devices like my two AFS that do use power directly from the Aquabus set to off.

I'll also not come close to max current, and the Aquabus won't likely have much impact on run-time, so I'm probably being OCD but my spreadsheet has lines of all devices and a bunch of blanks, lol.

It's been a while since I tested and I'm not good about writing things down, but I believe module wattage was in the 1W range. I believe the head unit drew 5W when I tested it (classic. I haven't tested the 2016 units wattage). If you want a more exact number, unplug all your energy bars from the wall and stick the 12V aux supply into a kill-a-watt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Thanks Zombie!!! I'm also over-thinking it, but if you have previously tested as well as confirming it's minuscule I'll just stick with an estimate of 1W each and 5W for the head unit.

Also, don't forget to put your router on a UPS or battery backup too. A lot of people forget that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Yep, the router and WiFi access point are on a small APC themselves. That will likely shut down long before this UPS, but my main goal here is to cover short outages as well as plenty of time to fire up a generator if needed. I'm in the Florida panhandle, and while I've been slowly planning or working on this TS Gordon gave me a fresh reminder! I'm not "yet" overly worried about remote access. If I'm on vacation my options will be quickly minimized even if I could still look and see time was running out lol, now to get a generator picked out. Last year I said "By next hurricane season", and here I still sit!