Thread: ATO is acting up...WHY?

Frequent Visitor

ATO is acting up...WHY?

Folks, could I get a little help on diagnosing my ATK problem. I've noticed over the last couple of months my pump started shutting off and I'd get an ATK error. At first I thought it was running too long. I made some adjustments and still got errors, The pump continued to turn off, I'd get an error, but still unable to figure out why it was cutting off. I'd have to go into APEX and turn it back on. Now its gotten worse. The low water sensor is open and the pump will not turn on. The return pump chamber ran low last night. And now to get the pump to turn on, I have to manually turn it on through my phone.

What's up? Any thoughts?

Here's my programming for the ATK. This has not changed since I started using the ATO:
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    IF LoWtr1 OPEN Then ON
    if HiWtr2 CLOSED Then OFF
    If FeedD 000 Then OFF
    When On > 006:00 Then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:04 Then OFF
    Min Time 060:00 Then OFF
    If Output RetPump_2_3 = OFF Then OFF
    Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425: Born on August 29, 2017

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Can you clarify a few things:

1. When you manually turn the pump on, does it actually run and supply water?
    2. Are you leaving the slider in the AUTO position and waiting at least 60 minutes (your MIN TIME) to see if it turns on?
    3. Is the pump a PMUP?

Most likely, something is clogged or the float is set incorrectly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Yes, when I manually turn on the pump it does run and supply water. When the error occurs, it turns the pump off. I go in, turn it on, the return it to the auto position. I did this yesterday and today realized it had turned itself off.

Regarding question 2: The line of coding that says Min Time 060:00 Then OFF was generated by APEX using their install for the ATK. What exactly does that mean? Based on your question, I might misunderstand its meaning.

Yes, the pump is PMUP.

- - - Updated - - -

The LowWtr1 is open. So it should signal the pump to run when things are set in the auto position. However, the pump is not running.

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RussC View Post
    Yes, when I manually turn on the pump it does run and supply water. When the error occurs, it turns the pump off. I go in, turn it on, the return it to the auto position. I did this yesterday and today realized it had turned itself off.

Regarding question 2: The line of coding that says Min Time 060:00 Then OFF was generated by APEX using their install for the ATK. What exactly does that mean? Based on your question, I might misunderstand its meaning.

Yes, the pump is PMUP.

- - - Updated - - -

The LowWtr1 is open. So it should signal the pump to run when things are set in the auto position. However, the pump is not running.
    MIN TIME 60 THEN OFF <-- this means that the code will only turn on the pump after 60 minutes has elapsed since the last time it ran. So regardless of your LowWtr1 switch state, it's not going to run right away.

If you want to troubleshoot in real time, either remove the Min Time statement or set it to a lower number of minutes.

Frequent Visitor
    I tried several things. I think it was just needing a good cleaning. No kinks, blockages or anything obvious. But the water sensors were pretty dirty. I think I'm back in business. Thanks for the help.