Thread: Fmm setup help

New User

Fmm setup help

I just ordered the fmm module and 2 optical sensors. I have the red sea reefer 170 and want to mount flow sensor in line with return. What size one do I use and where do I put it? At top of green tubing? And how would I put one on emergency drain? The sensors are pretty much self explanatory but also any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

You want 1" for a return. Mount it wherever is most convenient (as long as it's not submerged) in your return line and either use reducers or replumb to 1" to get it inline

The emergency drain is gonna be more trouble than it's worth. Adding an optical sensor or float in the overflow chamber is a cheaper and more reliable way to determine when the emergency drain is running.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    What do you mean by reducers or replumb? Sensor for overflow works good for me if it will be easier

Quote Originally Posted by Slipknotgrrl83 View Post
    What do you mean by reducers or replumb? Sensor for overflow works good for me if it will be easier
    Replumb: replace the entire run from your return to your tank with 1" PVC and glue the sensor inline on the new run.

Reducers: a plumbing part to convert the 1" PVC slip fittings on the flow sensor to whatever size and type of plumbing you use currently.

New User
    I would rather not replumb, so I can just get a fitting so it will connect to green tubing? I am assuming any home depot or plumbing place and use superglue?

New User
    Bump

Quote Originally Posted by Slipknotgrrl83 View Post
    I would rather not replumb, so I can just get a fitting so it will connect to green tubing? I am assuming any home depot or plumbing place and use superglue?
    Home depot should have the parts you need. You would need a 1" slip to NPT female threaded reducer and a barbed fitting (whatever size your green tubing is) to NPT male threaded. The barbed adaptor can use teflon to help seal. The reducer bushing needs to be glued to the flow sensor with PVC primer and cement (don't use superglue it will leak). Get some hose clamps too to make sure the green tube stays on the barbed fitting.

New User
    Thank you!

Regular Vistor
    Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question about the optical sensors and how they should be oriented. Currently, I have one optical sensor mounted in the display tank and one optical sensor mounted in my sump. The intent is to notify ad prevent an overflow. I have my optical sensor mounted parallel to the water (sensor crystal thingy is facing the water). Is this correct?
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by strat1960s View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question about the optical sensors and how they should be oriented. Currently, I have one optical sensor mounted in the display tank and one optical sensor mounted in my sump. The intent is to notify ad prevent an overflow. I have my optical sensor mounted parallel to the water (sensor crystal thingy is facing the water). Is this correct?
    Ted
    The pyramid must be pointed sideways or up. As long as it's not pointed down, it will work fine.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The pyramid must be pointed sideways or up. As long as it's not pointed down, it will work fine.

I had a sensor pointed down and it must have got air bubbles under it (used to say when ATR was empty) and so almost full ATR and was getting alerts to say it was empty... Turned the sensor sideways and no issues since