Thread: My Apex Mounting System

Frequent Visitor

My Apex Mounting System

Hi,

I'm getting ready to set up my 187 gallon reef tank in the very near future. Space is very tight in the stand and I don't really have a lot of options for mounting components outside of the stand. I never liked the modules laying flat on a surface as they took up to much room for my requirements. I developed a cradle system that holds the modules, but they can be taken out and serviced if one should fail. They are easily moved to different positions leaving the main cradle holders in position. You can mount them vertically, horizontally, or multiple rows. For me one of the nice feature that I like is I can keep the aquabus cables on one side and the probe and signal cables on the other. I will be mounting them in a horizontal position. You may have noticed that in the one picture the modules are clearly visible when you look at them head on. The aquabus cables will partially obstruct the status led, but I won't really know by how much until I have them in place. I tried to find right/left angled usb cables but they are very hard to find or way to long. I may just live with 5 inch short usb cables.

This is all preliminary but over all I'm happy with what I've accomplished for my requirements. I'll need to print them out which I'll probably do through shapways. The designs and Apex controller and modules where created using Solidworks. Yes the modules and controller are accurate.

CRADLE SNAP MOUNTING.jpgCRADLE ASSY.jpgSEATED MODULES.jpgAPEX AND CRADLE MODULE MTG.jpgAPEX 3.jpg

Kudos on the drafting skills. Those are rediculously detailed models.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks! It’s my attention to detail that always kicks in. I’m a mechanical engineer by profession, so I like to take things apart to see how they are designed/assembled. I’m used to reverse engineering things. The modules are very simple. All the PCBAs are the same size and they are hot glued in place, so they are able to use one size module box. I scanned one label, brought it into Solidworks and traced it. I found fonts that where close enough to use. Once the basic label was complete it was just a mater of copying it to another file name and adjusting the text.

The controller was more complex, but not that hard to duplicate. I just like things to look as they actually are. I’m going to send the mounting brackets to shapeways to be made to test for fit and function. I’m most concerned about the snap fits. I want them to be strong enough yet easy to remove without breaking.

I like the 2016 controller. Esthetics aside which is subjective, I think they set themselves up for future expansion. They have a nice quad core arm cpu. Overall I like the electronics design.

In the comming weeks weeks I’ll post pictures of the printed parts.

Aquaphile
    Very Nice!
    When you have built and tested them I would be interesting in purchasing some of these if and when they become available.

Frequent Visitor
    That's amazing!! Great work on the whole thing, do you have a 3d printer? Curious how it would turn out on one of those.

Frequent Visitor
    I don't have a 3D printer right now. I'll be getting a Form 2 probably first part of next year. I'm going to have shapeways print the parts for me to test. They have the material that I want to use and they will give it a nice finish.

Frequent Visitor
    Very cool, I would be interested in a set of these ever come to fruition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I’m going to have some printed in the next couple of weeks to see how well they work and if they need any other additional tweaks for better function. I’ll take pics and post so everyone can see what they look like. I haven’t decided if I will offer them for sale.