Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Apex Mounting System

Frequent Visitor

My Apex Mounting System

Hi,

I'm getting ready to set up my 187 gallon reef tank in the very near future. Space is very tight in the stand and I don't really have a lot of options for mounting components outside of the stand. I never liked the modules laying flat on a surface as they took up to much room for my requirements. I developed a cradle system that holds the modules, but they can be taken out and serviced if one should fail. They are easily moved to different positions leaving the main cradle holders in position. You can mount them vertically, horizontally, or multiple rows. For me one of the nice feature that I like is I can keep the aquabus cables on one side and the probe and signal cables on the other. I will be mounting them in a horizontal position. You may have noticed that in the one picture the modules are clearly visible when you look at them head on. The aquabus cables will partially obstruct the status led, but I won't really know by how much until I have them in place. I tried to find right/left angled usb cables but they are very hard to find or way to long. I may just live with 5 inch short usb cables.

This is all preliminary but over all I'm happy with what I've accomplished for my requirements. I'll need to print them out which I'll probably do through shapways. The designs and Apex controller and modules where created using Solidworks. Yes the modules and controller are accurate.

CRADLE SNAP MOUNTING.jpgCRADLE ASSY.jpgSEATED MODULES.jpgAPEX AND CRADLE MODULE MTG.jpgAPEX 3.jpg

Kudos on the drafting skills. Those are rediculously detailed models.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks! It’s my attention to detail that always kicks in. I’m a mechanical engineer by profession, so I like to take things apart to see how they are designed/assembled. I’m used to reverse engineering things. The modules are very simple. All the PCBAs are the same size and they are hot glued in place, so they are able to use one size module box. I scanned one label, brought it into Solidworks and traced it. I found fonts that where close enough to use. Once the basic label was complete it was just a mater of copying it to another file name and adjusting the text.

The controller was more complex, but not that hard to duplicate. I just like things to look as they actually are. I’m going to send the mounting brackets to shapeways to be made to test for fit and function. I’m most concerned about the snap fits. I want them to be strong enough yet easy to remove without breaking.

I like the 2016 controller. Esthetics aside which is subjective, I think they set themselves up for future expansion. They have a nice quad core arm cpu. Overall I like the electronics design.

In the comming weeks weeks I’ll post pictures of the printed parts.

Aquaphile
    Very Nice!
    When you have built and tested them I would be interesting in purchasing some of these if and when they become available.

NSI Member
    That's amazing!! Great work on the whole thing, do you have a 3d printer? Curious how it would turn out on one of those.

Frequent Visitor
    I don't have a 3D printer right now. I'll be getting a Form 2 probably first part of next year. I'm going to have shapeways print the parts for me to test. They have the material that I want to use and they will give it a nice finish.

Frequent Visitor
    Very cool, I would be interested in a set of these ever come to fruition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I’m going to have some printed in the next couple of weeks to see how well they work and if they need any other additional tweaks for better function. I’ll take pics and post so everyone can see what they look like. I haven’t decided if I will offer them for sale.

Frequent Visitor
    I'd be happy to 3d print these out for testing if you'd be interested.

Really nice job on the creation of these.... the detail is fantastic.

New User
    Would you mind posting the models? I am trying to create a cabinet but am struggling to find any of the models online.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyboy View Post
    Thanks! It’s my attention to detail that always kicks in. I’m a mechanical engineer by profession, so I like to take things apart to see how they are designed/assembled. I’m used to reverse engineering things. The modules are very simple. All the PCBAs are the same size and they are hot glued in place, so they are able to use one size module box. I scanned one label, brought it into Solidworks and traced it. I found fonts that where close enough to use. Once the basic label was complete it was just a mater of copying it to another file name and adjusting the text.

The controller was more complex, but not that hard to duplicate. I just like things to look as they actually are. I’m going to send the mounting brackets to shapeways to be made to test for fit and function. I’m most concerned about the snap fits. I want them to be strong enough yet easy to remove without breaking.

I like the 2016 controller. Esthetics aside which is subjective, I think they set themselves up for future expansion. They have a nice quad core arm cpu. Overall I like the electronics design.

In the comming weeks weeks I’ll post pictures of the printed parts.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by isomorphic85 View Post
    I'd be happy to 3d print these out for testing if you'd be interested.

Really nice job on the creation of these.... the detail is fantastic.
    Thanks, but no need for that. I want the parts to be printed with a specific material that shapeways uses.

Frequent Visitor
    Wow, unbelievably creative. Any update on this project?

Regular Vistor
    Im in same boat limited space also any update of this and how its working out for you?

Frequent Visitor
    Any update on this @teddyboy ? Would love to incorporate something similar.

New User
    i 2nd this !!!!

Frequent Visitor
    Good job - looking forward to final results!

NSI Member
    It is a pretty cool design. not sure what teddy's intentions are, if he plans to upload to thingiverse or has other plans. If you have any 3D modeling experience, it wouldn't be hard to make your own rendition of it.

NSI Member
    Kind of crude, didn't want to put much time into it, just to prove a point.

NSI Member

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by sisterlimonpot View Post

Any chance you can post the stl file?

NSI Member
    Ethically speaking, it's not my idea. That's more of a question for teddyboy.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by sisterlimonpot View Post
    Ethically speaking, it's not my idea. That's more of a question for teddyboy.
    Understood.

I'd love to see pictures of these installed. What's the advantage of these over just the bracket that comes with the unit?

I've got limited space under my stand and ended up mounting things on one side and the door. Wires seem to still always be in the way and it doesn't look very neat. Trying to find a better solution.

Mickey

New User
    Awesome job, I'll send you a PM.

Frequent Visitor
    It is my design, and right now they are very basic concepts. They are not finished. They will undergo a complete redesign so they use less material therefore less expensive and aiming for a little smaller foot print. The snap fits are not as robust as I would like them to be. They’ll be available in several colors and a smooth finish with little to no stair stepping. You can rearrange the module cradles to any position. The modules daisy chain so you can use very short usb cables module to module. You can mount the Apex controller next to them or mount it remotely if space is tight in the cabinet. The cradles take up less space then the standard module mounting.
    I have other improvements that would possibly enhance its modularity. Probably by the end of the year if I’m satisfied with the designs robustness.

It’s easy to copy someone’s design. It’s much harder to create your own.

I have a lot more time on my hands with the pandemic raging. I’ve also scaled back my 187 to a much more modest 50 gallon tank that I’m making. I already have the starfire glass on hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast