Thread: How to properly RECALIBRATE salinity and PH probes.

New User

How to properly RECALIBRATE salinity and PH probes.

Before, when i set up my apex. i did manual recalibration and the salinity came out way off at 38. but in reality using my refractometer, it was 35.
    but i didnt bother to recalibrate it again until now.
    I just recalibrated both salinity and PH. the salinity now is down to 32 which is off again. and the PH seems kinda off also at 7.5

i placed the calibration fluids in the sump for 30 minutes. enabled temp compensation 2.2. i calibrated in sump with the packet floating in the sump.
    what did i do wrong?

so what i did was.
    1. took the salinity probe. rinsed it in rodi. and then i followed the procedure on the apex.
    I also did the same thing with the PH.

also another question. when i dipped the 7.00 solution. do i straight dip it in the 10.01 solution? or should i rinse it first with rodi.
    also. i see a little brown algae on the sensor part of the probe. do i clean it? or it doesnt matter

Quote Originally Posted by mystersync View Post
    Before, when i set up my apex. i did manual recalibration and the salinity came out way off at 38. but in reality using my refractometer, it was 35.
    but i didnt bother to recalibrate it again until now.
    I just recalibrated both salinity and PH. the salinity now is down to 32 which is off again. and the PH seems kinda off also at 7.5

i placed the calibration fluids in the sump for 30 minutes. enabled temp compensation 2.2. i calibrated in sump with the packet floating in the sump.
    what did i do wrong?

so what i did was.
    1. took the salinity probe. rinsed it in rodi. and then i followed the procedure on the apex.
    I also did the same thing with the PH.

also another question. when i dipped the 7.00 solution. do i straight dip it in the 10.01 solution? or should i rinse it first with rodi.
    also. i see a little brown algae on the sensor part of the probe. do i clean it? or it doesnt matter
    Make sure you blot it dry with a paper towel and watch out for bubbles. This applies for both. Make sure you leave 5 minutes to "settle" on the probes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Make sure you blot it dry with a paper towel and watch out for bubbles. This applies for both. Make sure you leave 5 minutes to "settle" on the probes.

Do you mean 5 mins during calibration in the fluid? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSI Member
    Yes, give the probe time in both solutions to stabilize, 5 minutes in each should be enough

New User

Do i wipe evem the inside part of the probe? The sensor part.

And also do i rinse the probe in rodi when i transition from 7 solution to 10 solution

Quote Originally Posted by mystersync View Post
    Do i wipe evem the inside part of the probe? The sensor part.

And also do i rinse the probe in rodi when i transition from 7 solution to 10 solution
    You need to rinse the cond probe before the dry step and you should rinse the pH probe before the 7.0 step then blot both with a paper towel. You don't need to rinse the pH probe between solutions but it doesn't hurt if you do. Make sure to blot any leftover liquid off the probe before placing into calibration solution.

Regular Vistor
    How did you get to where ever one needs to get to, to set temp compensation value ...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by perjonas View Post
    How did you get to where ever one needs to get to, to set temp compensation value ...thanks
    It's in the inputs page (thermometer icon)

Regular Vistor
    I've seen some discussions (but can't find them now) about performing a manual calibration of the PH probe with the probe unplugged ... I am trying it now and get readings for both the 7.00 solution and 10.0 steps that settle in at about 709 ... is that what I should be looking for?

I've seen some discussions (but can't find them now) about performing a manual calibration of the PH probe with the probe unplugged ... I am trying it now and get readings for both the 7.00 solution and 10.0 steps that settle in at about 709 ... is that what I should be looking for?
    You just unplug it and scroll through next until it's done to "reset" the probe. The actual value shown doesn't matter.

Regular Vistor
    Is it possible that tis setting has gone away with the most recent release of AOS? .. this is what I see after clicking the thermometer icon

pH_Probe_Config.png

Is it possible that tis setting has gone away with the most recent release of AOS? .. this is what I see after clicking the thermometer icon

pH_Probe_Config.png
    There has never been a setting to reset the probe. You do it by unplugging the probe selecting manual calibration and then just keep clicking next until it's done. Then plug it back in and do a manual or automatic calibration.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you ... my question however was on where to set the temp comp to 2.2 .. I would assume that it would appear on the ph Probe Config page ... I do remember seeing it in the past (I am guessing on this page, but not sure ) .. but clearly is not there now ...perhaps I am in the wrong place? .. thanks

Thank you ... my question however was on where to set the temp comp to 2.2 .. I would assume that it would appear on the ph Probe Config page ... I do remember seeing it in the past (I am guessing on this page, but not sure ) .. but clearly is not there now ...perhaps I am in the wrong place? .. thanks
    Temp compensation is strictly enabled or disabled for pH probes. They are much less sensitive to temperature and the algorithm is the same for every tank. Only conductivity is user configurable because it is significantly more sensitive to temperature and the required compensation levels vary depending on tank chemistry.

Frequent Visitor
    Temp compensation is strictly enabled or disabled for pH probes. They are much less sensitive to temperature and the algorithm is the same for every tank. Only conductivity is user configurable because it is significantly more sensitive to temperature and the required compensation levels vary depending on tank chemistry.

Can you remind me if I need temp comp if I keep my tank at 77F?

Quote Originally Posted by XLOR8T View Post
    Can you remind me if I need temp comp if I keep my tank at 77F?

You want temp compensation regardless of what temp you keep your tank at.