Thread: How to setup device stall detection?

Question How to setup device stall detection?

Just for background, I'm having an issue with my DC adjustable return pump stalling. I know it needs to be cleaned, but it got me thinking about ways for my Apex to alert me of any device stalls. I do have a flow meter on my return, but setting up a simple flow alarm would also fire when the pump is off for other maintenance events. Since the return pump is plugged into my EB832, I have 2 additional data points to work with, outlet ON/OFF state and power consumption. Ideally, we would have "and/&&" operators that could do the following:

Code:
    [base_email]
    Set OFF
    If Output Return_Pump = ON "And" If Output Return_Pump Watts < 5 Then ON
    This would allow us to determine if an outlet was set to ON, but not drawing the expected amount of power and we can assume this device is stalled, then alert. So my question is, how do I setup this "and" condition with the currently available operators?

Thanks!
    - Ray

Use a virtual output.

[Pump_Stall]
    Set OFF
    If Output Pump Watts < xxx Then ON
    If Output Pump = OFF Then OFF
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    Defer 0:30 Then ON

Add other conditional statements as needed to prevent the output from turning ON when the power draw is expected to be less than the specified value. The If FeedA line is just an example of this.

Then test the state of this VO in the email alarm output.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

When a DC motor stalls, the electrical power goes up not down. When the motor is stalled the back EMF component of the equivalent circuit becomes 0, which increases the armature current. Since power is terminal voltage times armature current, this means the input power goes up along with the current even though the output power (torque * rotational speed) is zero.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Awesome, thanks for the info Russ! I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see and/or operators in apex programming. It would sure cut down on the number of virtual outputs needed for what could be considered "one liner" logic cases.
    - Ray

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    When a DC motor stalls, the electrical power goes up not down.
    In this case, the DC controller catches the stall and kills power to the pump. The remaining 1-2w draw comes from the surviving DC controller blinking "ERR".
    - Ray

Quote Originally Posted by revnull View Post
    In this case, the DC controller catches the stall and kills power to the pump. The remaining 1-2w draw comes from the surviving DC controller blinking "ERR".
    Gotcha. In that case low wattage would be the way to go. For anybody else that doesnt have that auto shut off feature, high watts or amps is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk