Thread: Firmware update broke MP40s

New User

Firmware update broke MP40s

I have a full Neptune Apex that I purchased in 2012 or 2013. I have not used it for a few years and am setting up a new tank now and reusing a lot of old equipment. I had my WXM module, 2 MP40s and my Apex all in Sync, all my old programming worked, and I had them running at 100%. I performed the Firmware update (wanting to take advantage of the Fusion capabilities). And I pushed out the updated webpages for the firmward and everything worked. By worked my display unit still showed everything accurately, I could still control pumps and things like that. However, my MP40s went down to 0% and I was unable to get them to run even though it showed them synced with the WXM Module.

So, I launched the internal web address for the Apex (not the fusion site) and noticed under modules it showed (Old) next to the WXM Module. I selected the option to update WXM Firmware and hit update. When I refreshed the page it showed the WXM Module on the latest firmware. The status light on the WXM Module was solid green along with the 8 bar and everything else. Everything looked to be connected, I could still control outlets from the display. I verified the outlet and profiles for the MP40s were set to on, and they were on the website and the Display unit. Yet, they aren't running or are at 10% if that.

I restarted everything and resynced the MP40s with the WXM module and everything reconnected just fine, but they're still set at 0 or 10% (can't tell for sure). I went to the fusion site thinking maybe that replaced the internal site on the apex (not sure if it does or not). One thing I noticed on the internal site is the Dashboard no longer shows the switches and what they're currently set to. The internal dashboard is completely blank and empty of anything. Just says Dashboard at the top and gray back ground....

So, I went to the Fusion site and linked my Apex, which it linked just fine. I got the Dashboard I was used to on the Fusion site. It showed all my switches and their current status, power draw, etc. Was what I expected to see on the internal site. I went into the MP40 settings and clicked adjust point, and changed all the profiles for the MP40 to 100% including the constant profile.

I then clicked update Apex Settings. It took about 10 seconds and counted from 1% to 100% and when it 100% it came back in red lettering "Failed to receive status" or something like that from the Apex. I refresh the page and it shows my old settings. It won't allow me to update anything on the apex. Which, I suspect with the firmware update, somehow it changed my Apex to run at 0 or 10% and won't allow me to update that?

Just to verify it wasn't the WXM Module I tried turning other outlets off on the Fusion Dashboard and then pushing those settings to the Apex, and that failed as well. Seems I am unable to update any settings from the Fusion site. The internal site doesn't show me anything on the dashboard. And when I go to the head unit I don't see any options to change the speed of my MP40s.

Thankfully the tank isn't operational yet. It is almost 100% full of water. I would like the MP40s to be running to keep the cycle going and to oxygenate the water, but, nothing is going to die as a result.... I would like any feedback on how to get the fusion site to have bidirectional communication with my Apex and / or how to get my MP40s from the locked 0% but on to 100%.

You might be using an incompatible firmware on the mp40s. I would update those to the latest firmware as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You might be using an incompatible firmware on the mp40s. I would update those to the latest firmware as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I thought about that but Neptune's instructions specifically state, if the MP40s are newer than 2010 do not update the MP40 firmware. It doesn't say why... or what conditions one would need to, but, yeah.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by travis32 View Post
    I have a full Neptune Apex that I purchased in 2012 or 2013. I have not used it for a few years and am setting up a new tank now and reusing a lot of old equipment. I had my WXM module, 2 MP40s and my Apex all in Sync, all my old programming worked, and I had them running at 100%. I performed the Firmware update (wanting to take advantage of the Fusion capabilities). And I pushed out the updated webpages for the firmward and everything worked. By worked my display unit still showed everything accurately, I could still control pumps and things like that. However, my MP40s went down to 0% and I was unable to get them to run even though it showed them synced with the WXM Module.

So, I launched the internal web address for the Apex (not the fusion site) and noticed under modules it showed (Old) next to the WXM Module. I selected the option to update WXM Firmware and hit update. When I refreshed the page it showed the WXM Module on the latest firmware. The status light on the WXM Module was solid green along with the 8 bar and everything else. Everything looked to be connected, I could still control outlets from the display. I verified the outlet and profiles for the MP40s were set to on, and they were on the website and the Display unit. Yet, they aren't running or are at 10% if that.

I restarted everything and resynced the MP40s with the WXM module and everything reconnected just fine, but they're still set at 0 or 10% (can't tell for sure). I went to the fusion site thinking maybe that replaced the internal site on the apex (not sure if it does or not). One thing I noticed on the internal site is the Dashboard no longer shows the switches and what they're currently set to. The internal dashboard is completely blank and empty of anything. Just says Dashboard at the top and gray back ground....

So, I went to the Fusion site and linked my Apex, which it linked just fine. I got the Dashboard I was used to on the Fusion site. It showed all my switches and their current status, power draw, etc. Was what I expected to see on the internal site. I went into the MP40 settings and clicked adjust point, and changed all the profiles for the MP40 to 100% including the constant profile.

I then clicked update Apex Settings. It took about 10 seconds and counted from 1% to 100% and when it 100% it came back in red lettering "Failed to receive status" or something like that from the Apex. I refresh the page and it shows my old settings. It won't allow me to update anything on the apex. Which, I suspect with the firmware update, somehow it changed my Apex to run at 0 or 10% and won't allow me to update that?

Just to verify it wasn't the WXM Module I tried turning other outlets off on the Fusion Dashboard and then pushing those settings to the Apex, and that failed as well. Seems I am unable to update any settings from the Fusion site. The internal site doesn't show me anything on the dashboard. And when I go to the head unit I don't see any options to change the speed of my MP40s.

Thankfully the tank isn't operational yet. It is almost 100% full of water. I would like the MP40s to be running to keep the cycle going and to oxygenate the water, but, nothing is going to die as a result.... I would like any feedback on how to get the fusion site to have bidirectional communication with my Apex and / or how to get my MP40s from the locked 0% but on to 100%.
    Did you ever get this figured out? Wondering in case I have a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New User
    [QUOTE=Crabby;152295]Did you ever get this figured out? Wondering in case I have a problem

Crabby, I did get it figured out, it was ridiculously simple and embarrassing...

In the old Firmware if I wanted the MP40s to run constantly, I just set the virtual variable ports to "ON". That would leave them running at 100% and on.

In the new firmware, evidently the status of "ON" doesn't do anything for variable virtual ports. I set all the points for the different profiles to 100% and then set the variable ports to "Auto". Then the MP40s turned on and have been running at 100% ever since... "Auto" not "On".

My tank is fully running with PH probe, temp probe, and 2 x 300 watt heaters. Everything is cycling now!