Thread: PH calibration requriement

New User

Question PH calibration requriement

Hi,
    PH7 and PH10 are the required solutions for calibration a used probes? I have seen that in the PDF document but thought to double check in cases there were changed or calibrating a used PH probe would require different solutions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by salahunreal View Post
    Hi,
    PH7 and PH10 are the required solutions for calibration a used probes? I have seen that in the PDF document but thought to double check in cases there were changed or calibrating a used PH probe would require different solutions?

Thanks
    In most cases yes. pH 7 and pH 10 should be used for calibration if what you are measuring will be between those two values (like saltwater tank pH). If you are checking something like a calcium reactor or a FW acidic tank that would have a normal pH below 7, you want pH 4 and pH 7. The brand or age of probe is irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    In most cases yes. pH 7 and pH 10 should be used for calibration if what you are measuring will be between those two values (like saltwater tank pH). If you are checking something like a calcium reactor or a FW acidic tank that would have a normal pH below 7, you want pH 4 and pH 7. The brand or age of probe is irrelevant.

Thanks for the clarification. What about the conductivity probe.... i read its mix of PH4+PH7+ quinhydrone??

Thanks for the clarification. What about the conductivity probe.... i read its mix of PH4+PH7+ quinhydrone??
    The conductivity probe uses air for one point and 53mS/cm calibration solution. You are thinking of ORP calibration, which is unnecessary to perform unless you are running a sulfur denitrator or heavily dosing ozone.

New User
    I have a PH9 solution got it with among other stuff. Would that be ok to replace the PH10 instead? So I will be using PH7 and PH9? I am going to place the PH probe in sump for now

I have a PH9 solution got it with among other stuff. Would that be ok to replace the PH10 instead?
    No, you cannot use that.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.