Thread: Temporary manual override of AMW module?

Regular Vistor

Temporary manual override of AMW module?

I’m new to Apex and have searched the forums but have not found out how to temporarily override the auto AI Hydra programming.

I like to photograph the reef. When the hyrdras were controlled by AI’s controller, I just switched to manual mode. It was a custom light temperature with 60% blues, 100% white, and 0% other colors. This helps the DSLR record colors more accurately. When I was done photographing I’d just switch back to auto control with all the fancy color combos and ramps.

I have the auto control set up and working beautifully, but how do I set up a temporary manual mode?

NSI Member
    You can create a virtual outlet labeled photo and when you turn it on it will go to that programmed light schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by sisterlimonpot View Post
    You can create a virtual outlet labeled photo and when you turn it on it will go to that programmed light schedule.
    This ^. Just add

If Output VOname = ON Then profilename

To the advanced tab of the wizard for the hydra. I would also add the line below to your pumps so your images dpnt get blurry from water movement.

If Output VOname = ON Then OFF

I would suggest setting up the VO itself like this

Set ON
    When On > 005:00 Then OFF

This will automatically shut to manual OFF after 5 minutes so you don't forget about it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Thank you both! That was speedy.

I’m not a programmer so the learning curve is pretty steep. When I look at the current automated outlets, I find a profile for both hydra lights that has a graph I can manipulate and sliders for each LED color. But when I go to make a virtual outlet, when I select ‘lights’ from the drop down menu it does not give me any of those custom options but instead only an option to shut down the lights at a set temp, etc.

So I poked around, clicking the advanced tab on the two automated Hydra outlets. it has rows headed ‘tdata’ and a string of numbers and commas. Is this what I put in an advanced tab for the new photolights virtual outlet? (Customizing the numbers of course—once I figure out what each one correlates to)

Since I have two lights, do I grok you that I put your code above in the advanced tab for the current Hydra right AND hydra left outlets? and do I understand correctly that both lights will be listening for the photolight virtual outlet and respond together?

And lastly, I had an issue that required Neptune CS to log in to my apex and debug something so that one of my original hydra lights could be controlled by the apex. Since I’m a noob to apex and programming, is there any chance making this virtual outlet switch will screw up the current automation controls? It was pretty stressful not having lights for a few days—not in a hurry to repeat that experience. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Polarcollision View Post
    Thank you both! That was speedy.

I’m not a programmer so the learning curve is pretty steep. When I look at the current automated outlets, I find a profile for both hydra lights that has a graph I can manipulate and sliders for each LED color. But when I go to make a virtual outlet, when I select ‘lights’ from the drop down menu it does not give me any of those custom options but instead only an option to shut down the lights at a set temp, etc.

So I poked around, clicking the advanced tab on the two automated Hydra outlets. it has rows headed ‘tdata’ and a string of numbers and commas. Is this what I put in an advanced tab for the new photolights virtual outlet? (Customizing the numbers of course—once I figure out what each one correlates to)

Since I have two lights, do I grok you that I put your code above in the advanced tab for the current Hydra right AND hydra left outlets? and do I understand correctly that both lights will be listening for the photolight virtual outlet and respond together?

And lastly, I had an issue that required Neptune CS to log in to my apex and debug something so that one of my original hydra lights could be controlled by the apex. Since I’m a noob to apex and programming, is there any chance making this virtual outlet switch will screw up the current automation controls? It was pretty stressful not having lights for a few days—not in a hurry to repeat that experience. :-)
    You define a profile (folder icon) and add the line I showed above into the advanced tab of the wizard for the lights (gear icon while in wizard view).

NSI Member
    -Create your profile with the colors you want, name it "Photo_Pro"
    -Create a virtual outlet name it "Photo"
    Type:
    Set ON
    -In your 2 "automated Hydra outlets" go to the advanced screen and paste this at the bottom
    If Output Photo = ON Then Photo_Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sisterlimonpot View Post
    -Create your profile with the colors you want, name it "Photo_Pro"
    -Create a virtual outlet name it "Photo"
    Type:
    Set ON
    -In your 2 "automated Hydra outlets" go to the advanced screen and paste this at the bottom
    If Output Photo = ON Then Photo_Pro
    I wouldn't use set ON for a virtual outlet for this purpose. Far to easy to inadvertently set it to AUTO and screw up the light cycle. The better way is

Set ON
    When On > 005:00 Then OFF

This automatically puts it into manual OFF after 5 minutes in case you forget or inadvertently put it in AUTO.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks again, both of you!! I’ll tackle it tonight if I have time after work and report back. :-)

New User
    I dont mean to high jack this thread at all but I have a question or problem. I want to use my Apex Fusion to control my hydra 52 HD lights. I have two on my tank. When I used IOTA to add my lights I dont get a HD option and one of the lights will blink on an off throughout the day but when I use MyAi app they work fine. I am trying to fine tune my lights use the apex par meter too. Can you help or point me to the right thread to read more on this. I went to MACNA 2018 just to sit at the Apex seminars and get a few corals. That is where I learned that hydra could be used with APEX. Again sorry for jumping in but I am so frustrated.