Thread: The power of WAVS

Regular Vistor

The power of WAVS

I have just installed to WAVS and can’t run them over 5% as they are so powerful in my tank is 5x5x2.

is it normal to run them so low?

You should be able to set them much higher than that. I run mine between 30 and 65 percent in a 65 gallon mixed reef (3' ×18" × 24") and the flow is perfect. In your size tank, an average of 85% is the sweet spot.

If you are getting a sandstorm, then I would suggest adding a 1" layer of coarse grain aragonite that is at least 1mm grain size.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Placement matters - the WAV is powerful and you need to experiment to find the best positions and angling for the pumps to best suit your tank size, shape, and aquascaping.

Good info in this thread: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ll=1#post86473

I have a 36”x24”x22” tank, and I am running two WAVs at 45% most of the time. In my case, I positioned them low and wide on the back wall and angled them up and in. YMMV.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Placement matters - the WAV is powerful and you need to experiment to find the best positions and angling for the pumps to best suit your tank size, shape, and aquascaping.

Good info in this thread: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ll=1#post86473

I have a 36”x24”x22” tank, and I am running two WAVs at 45% most of the time. In my case, I positioned them low and wide on the back wall and angled them up and in. YMMV.
    Any thoughts on best placement/programming for my setup? I have the RS650 Peninsula and running 2 Wav's on the back wall about 6 inches down and angled downward maybe 10 degrees or so. Originally in January, this was a FOLR, but I'm converting to a reef now. Here is my current program.

Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Any thoughts on best placement/programming for my setup? I have the RS650 Peninsula and running 2 Wav's on the back wall about 6 inches down and angled downward maybe 10 degrees or so. Originally in January, this was a FOLR, but I'm converting to a reef now. Here is my current program.

Capture.JPG
    Those powers are adequate for LPS and softies. If you start going SPS dominant, then you will need to crank them up to probably 80%

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Those powers are adequate for LPS and softies. If you start going SPS dominant, then you will need to crank them up to probably 80%

I do have some acro frags in there now and will be adding more. So when you say 80%, are you talking on the max flow during my mavericks phase? What about the night time phases?

I do have some acro frags in there now and will be adding more. So when you say 80%, are you talking on the max flow during my mavericks phase? What about the night time phases?
    Peak flow.

Frequent Visitor
    What about the pointing of the powerheads as far as getting some good random flow? Right now they are about 10% down off the back wall.

What about the pointing of the powerheads as far as getting some good random flow? Right now they are about 10% down off the back wall.
    You want at least part of the stream to bounce off of something (glass and/or surface) for best turbulence and you don't want to point the center of the flow stream directly at any coral. You also want to make sure there are no dead spots. Exactly how to do so varies a lot from tank to tank, so you will just need to experiment.

New User
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but is it possible you're misunderstanding how they work?

If you're using inverse 100% for the 2nd pump, it will be at 95% when the primary pump is at 5%.

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdyke View Post
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but is it possible you're misunderstanding how they work?

If you're using inverse 100% for the 2nd pump, it will be at 95% when the primary pump is at 5%.
    Not exactly. Inverse does depend on the mode you are using. For Example, if you are using Maverick at 80% on one pump and Inverse 100% on the other. The inverse pump will also be running at 80% Maverick, but on the inverse pattern. The actual range may be something like 60-80% (or whatever range 80% Maverick uses) with the inverse hitting opposite values within the range of the mode you are in. In this example say one pump is at 65 in the pattern, the other would be at 75.

So the inverse stays in the same range as the primary pump, it just follows an opposite pattern. Something like pipeline would be more dramatic with the pumps alternating on and off.

Building on what Nichols just posted, what you describe here is what happens if you use of Constant mode & Inverse, a combination that will rarely be desirable. Mirror may be used with Constant with good results but not Inverse. Inverse should only be used with the modes that have a pattern of variation (Constant does not have that). The suitable modes for use with Inverse are Mavericks, Malibu, Pipeline, and Pulse.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Interesting. I tried it again yesterday to confirm that's how it works in my system before posting. At the time the primary was in Trestles so I chant the secondary one from mirror to inverse and then dropped the primary to 10%.

The secondary one went high enough that water almost went over the rim of my tank.

Can anyone confirm if theirs does the same thing before I contact support?

Please see the last line of my previous post - Trestles is not listed

New User
    🤦🏽*♂️

In retrospect, that makes perfect sense. In my defense, the documentation states it's meant to be used with all 6 of them 😉🤷🏽*♂️

In retrospect, that makes perfect sense. In my defense, the documentation states it's meant to be used with all 6 of them
    Very true. But IMO it just doesn’t make sense to use Trestles & Inverse. The patterns are not conducive to doing so... they are best used in sync on multiple pump (for example, left and right). This is my opinion about Rincon as well.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post

Russ, Mine is a bit bigger, same format, have you uploaded your profile for public access?