Thread: Question for alternating WAV power heads programming

New User

Question for alternating WAV power heads programming

I know I'm missing something simple and I've looked through various threads and haven't figured it out yet. My right WAV was brought up first and is the reference, left one is second. I only run them at 1% since it's a 66gal tank and I don't want to blow the fish out! I want the right one on from top of the hour for 15 minutes, then off. The left one I want to come on at the bottom of the hour for 15 minutes then off. Attaching images of the current setup. I set the right one to Auto, and it comes on and stays on. At 14:25 I turned it off. I then turned the Left one to Auto and it was off initially and came on at 14:35, not 14:30 like I have in the program. The clock on my Apex is the correct time. It stayed on until I turned it off at 15:02. I'm very confused. I don't know why the left one started late and didn't turn off when it should have. Is setting the intensity to 0% not turning it off? If so, am I looking at using virtual outlets or something to enable/disable the WAV and use the GUI to set the wave type and intensity? Sorry for being dense! Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Right config:
    Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 2.30.45 PM.png

Left config:
    Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 2.31.01 PM.png

There are points between 0 and 1 percent in the apex that it ramps through, you just can't select them. I can't remember if its 128 or 256 points, but there are actually values in between percents.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Good to know that there are smaller increments, but basically I just want it to shut off at a certain time. It seems to not be doing that. I set the right one to run from 10am to 10:15, set it to Auto, and it started but it's still running at 10:19. It seems so straightforward to program yet my WAVs don't seem to be working according to what the GUI says they should be.

Mavericks, Malibu, Pulse, Trestles, and Rincon WAV modes each do different patterns, but the two things they all have in common is that they have a configurable max speed and they vary in speed over time. You cannot run these modes at 1% - by having Mavericks @ 1%, for example, you are telling the WAV to run a varying pattern, but because it is improperly configured with a max speed of 1%, it cannot vary the speed. Essentially, it is just running at 1% constant speed or off. The only two modes you effectively use with a configured 1% max speed are Constant and Pipeline.

Also, as zombie alluded, the Apex fairs (interpolates) between schedule points, which gives smooth operation. For example, let's say you have a schedule point at noon for Constant/10% and the next point at 1PM set for Constant/50%. At noon, the WAV will be running at exactly 10%, and then the speed will slowly be ramped up to 50% at 1PM. So, at 12:15, it will be at 20%, at 1:30 it will be at 30%, etc. By having one point at 1% and the next adjacent point at 0% as you do, the Apex is trying to ramp it down from 1% to 0%, but at some point in between those two times, it changes to a speed closer to 0% than to 1% then it just shuts off. That's why you are seeing the pump stop (or start) at unexpected times.

Also, you mentioned that the right WAV is the reference pump. That is incorrect; your schedule does not use any of the modes that utilize a reference pump... only Mirror, Inverse and Back have configuration for a reference pump. So, your left and right WAVs are not directly associated with one for another for operation. What correlation there is in operation between the two pumps is only because you have the two separate programs coordinated by time.

The way you describe wanting to operate the pumps is highly unusual. Why do you want to do that? Do you really want to have no in-tank flow for half of the time - from xx:15 to xx:29 and xx:45 to xx:59 every hour? Each pump on for only 15 minutes per hour? It is not possible to do exactly that with the scheduler wizard. There is a way to do it using profiles, but I don't think it s a good idea to do.

Consider something more along the lines of alternating the pumps every few seconds or every few minutes - that way one pump will be running, providing in-tank flow at all times.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Thank you Russ! That helps clear things up. The ramp up/down makes more sense now and why at 1% it wouldn't work so well. I'm using very low % due to these being in a 40 gallon effective tank and anything more than maybe 10% really kicks things up. I have a good flow coming into the tank from the return pump so I was just wanting to add some good surge type flows to keep things moving and the detritus off the bottom. I set my modes to "Constant" and the right pump didn't kick on at the top of the hour, nor did the left at the bottom of the hour. I'll try upping the percentages and use the constant mode to get used to scheduling. I'll also look at changing to more of a consistent time of moving water.

New User
    I grabbed an online profile for alternating between 1% and 4% using Trestles and Mavericks over 24 hours and that seems to work fine, and setting the left one to Inverse kicks it on in response. So at least I know they work "normally" and I should stop trying to be too clever (or dumb) to make them do things they shouldn't. Also, this is my first reef tank so I'm trying to get used to what a "normal" flow should be for water in the tank and how the fish will respond. Appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by flgbanjo View Post
    I grabbed an online profile for alternating between 1% and 4% using Trestles and Mavericks over 24 hours and that seems to work fine, and setting the left one to Inverse kicks it on in response. So at least I know they work "normally" and I should stop trying to be too clever (or dumb) to make them do things they shouldn't. Also, this is my first reef tank so I'm trying to get used to what a "normal" flow should be for water in the tank and how the fish will respond. Appreciate the help!
    A good target value is 30-50x turnover for LPS and softies only and 50-100x turnover for SPS. The WAVs run at about 2000 gph at 1% and 4000 gph at 100%. The pump orientation, substrate, and aquascape all effect the ideal values. One thing I find beneficial in all cases is to avoid using fine grain sand like oolite and use something in the 1-4mm range to avoid sandstorms.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Thank you zombie! My DT is 55 gallons so with both WAVs running around 1-4% I'll have a nice bit of flow. I've got a very nice sized sand as it doesn't blow around unless I kick them up above 25% or so. I'll keep an eye on my fish and their behavior but with my rockwork there are some good hiding places for them and several spots where the flow isn't too bad. I'm sure my coral (softies only) will be much happier with the increased flow and surges. I appreciate yours and Russ' help! Lots of things to learn in this hobby and having powerful controllable hardware makes it more exciting.