Thread: DOS routine programming with my DIY AB mix box

Frequent Visitor

DOS routine programming with my DIY AB mix box

I'm looking to run one head of my DOS pump as follows:

1. Run at full speed for a certain amount of time or volume which ever is easier to implement (note accuracy is really not important)
    2. Activate an EB outlet
    3. Dispense a measured amount of solution
    4. Deactivate an EB outlet
    5. Run at full speed for a certain amount of time or volume which ever is easier to implement (note accuracy is really not important)

There can be a brief pause between steps. I would like to make this happen with a VO. It might take profiles and several VOs inside of it, this is really the heart of my question. I can handle scheduling this VO like a vFeed, etc...

Steps 1-5 probably don't make sense at first, so here is what my AB box is. It is 3(quantity) 24v solenoid valves. All 3 solenoids have a common liquid output rail into the DOS. Each solenoid has its own liquid input. All 3 solenoids are wired in parallel to a single 24v supply, so one EB outlet can change all of their states. Solenoid 1 is normally open and the liquid input is tank water. Solenoids 2 and 3 are normally closed and their liquid inputs are Reef Energy A and B. If the 24v power supply is off and the DOS is running it just pumps water from my tank back into my tank. If the 24v supply is energized the tank water input closes and the 2 additive ports open (step 3 dispense measured amount). Step 4&5 is to flush the measured amount from the output line length with tank water, Step 1&2 is similar and probably not needed, but might help clear any air bubbles and get a consistent prime.

I have tested this valve box manually and it works well. It might seem convoluted, but I had most of the parts laying around. I got bored one day and 3D printed a box and threw it together. I'll need to implement some magnetic stirrers, which I can figure out. I'd also add that this would be a bad idea for something like 2 part Cal/Alk due to precipitation mixing them. Something like Reef Energy AB that is supposed to be mixed at time of use should work.

You will need a sequence of VOs similar to vFeed for AFS

vFeed
    (Scheduled times 3 min in length)

vFeed1
    If Output vFeed = ON Then ON
    Defer 001:00 Then ON

vFeed2
    Defer 002:00 Then ON

StartFlush
    Set OFF
    If Output vFeed1 = ON Then OFF

Dose2part
    Set OFF
    If Output vFeed1 = ON Then ON
    If Output vFeed2 = ON Then OFF

EndFlush
    Set OFF
    If Output vFeed2 = ON Then ON

Use the VOs to trigger your flush profiles, dosing profiles, and 24V outlets.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I think I see where this goes, please correct if i misunderstand. In your example I would get 3 separate windows of one minute each.

I would need to schedule vFeed to last 3 minutes.

The DOS programming would be something like:
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output StartFlush = ON Then (Name of profile that does what I need with DOS pump in one minute)
    If Output Dose2part = ON Then (Name of profile that does what I need with DOS pump in one minute)
    If Output EndFlush = ON Then (Name of profile that does what I need with DOS pump in one minute)

My Solenoid 24v supply on EB would be:
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output Dose2part = ON then ON

Quote Originally Posted by Diznaster View Post
    I think I see where this goes, please correct if i misunderstand. In your example I would get 3 separate windows of one minute each.

I would need to schedule vFeed to last 3 minutes.

The DOS programming would be something like:
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output StartFlush = ON Then (Name of profile that does what I need with DOS pump in one minute)
    If Output Dose2part = ON Then (Name of profile that does what I need with DOS pump in one minute)
    If Output EndFlush = ON Then (Name of profile that does what I need with DOS pump in one minute)

My Solenoid 24v supply on EB would be:
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If Output Dose2part = ON then ON

Yes. You can adjust the timings to make them a different length each as well. They need to be long enough to dose your desired volume at the speed you want and have time to cool down.

Frequent Visitor
    OK, and I can follow the template to add a VO or two that pre mixes with the mag stir.

A couple follow up questions

Should I keep the time increments to one minute intervals, I know sometimes this is important (based on triggering things from a schedule or a "Feed A" button? I think in this case it shouldn't matter since it will always be triggered by schedule. If as you said it has time to dose the amount at speed chosen, I can make the times shorter (even fractions of minutes)?

What is the requirement or suggestion for cool down?

Quote Originally Posted by Diznaster View Post
    OK, and I can follow the template to add a VO or two that pre mixes with the mag stir.

A couple follow up questions

Should I keep the time increments to one minute intervals, I know sometimes this is important (based on triggering things from a schedule or a "Feed A" button? I think in this case it shouldn't matter since it will always be triggered by schedule. If as you said it has time to dose the amount at speed chosen, I can make the times shorter (even fractions of minutes)?

What is the requirement or suggestion for cool down?
    You can use fractions of minutes, as long as you give it a buffer on the first flush for cooldown and you leave yourself some wiggle room so you can adjust the amounts dosed without having to recalculate timings.

Cooldown should be the same time it takes to do the flush volume, so if you want to do 250ml flush, you need 1 min to flush plus another minute for cooldown before it starts dosing.