Thread: Cloning 2016 Apex

Frequent Visitor

Cloning 2016 Apex

@RussM is there a cloning guide for the 2016 Apex? I see the cloning sticky does not apply. Have a new base unit coming and need help. Thanks

Sorry, there is not one.

You can use the general process outlined here: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...Apex-or-ApexEL
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks. Neptune instructed me to be sure to plug in the modules in the same order. Can you help me understand what that means? I don't understand.

Frequent Visitor
    You plug in the modules like you did when you first put it together. An example order would be Apex to eb8, eb8 to 1link, 1link to fmm, fmm to wxm. If you don’t hook them up in the same order the system software will assign a different aquabus address to the modules. Your programming won’t work because it’s looking for the module at address xx and it’s now on address Xy because you didn’t plug in the modules in the same order. This applies to classic or 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by teddyboy View Post
    You plug in the modules like you did when you first put it together. An example order would be Apex to eb8, eb8 to 1link, 1link to fmm, fmm to wxm. If you don’t hook them up in the same order the system software will assign a different aquabus address to the modules. Your programming won’t work because it’s looking for the module at address xx and it’s now on address Xy because you didn’t plug in the modules in the same order. This applies to classic or 2016.
    This. You have to connect the modules in the same sequence and assure that they are assigned the same aquabus numbers, although I believe that but you don't necessarily have to use the same physical aquabus connections; so you might wind up routing the cables differently when reconnecting components and it should still work. I have not personally tested this assumption however.

The whole matter of consistent aquabus addresses is a good reason to keep a current snapshot of your Modules page, along with your backup file.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    This. You have to connect the modules in the same sequence and assure that they are assigned the same aquabus numbers, although I believe that but you don't necessarily have to use the same physical aquabus connections; so you might wind up routing the cables differently when reconnecting components and it should still work. I have not personally tested this assumption however.

The whole matter of consistent aquabus addresses is a good reason to keep a current snapshot of your Modules page, along with your backup file.
    This is what I believe it is too. I have a spare DOS currently that I have been meaning to test with connecting to another AB port if it knows it is that module etc.

Frequent Visitor
    I just wanted to follow up and say thank you to everyone who helped and provided instruction and advice. I was able to successfully switch out my 2016 apex base unit and everything is working well. The problems that I had with the old one are gone. All is good with the world