Thread: running ATO line

New User

running ATO line

First of all, I am a total Apex newb. In fact I just ordered the Apex EL. I am a freshwater user. I want to run a ATO. I am thinking about tapping into my water line via a icemaker kit. I do not need to treat the water because I am on a well. Will this work? I am also thinking about putting a solenoid on the line for extra protection. What do you think about the idea? My concerns is that if something goes wrong it will be a never ending flow into my sump.

If you take this approach, I would definately get a solenoid, a couple float switches, a mechanical float valve, and an inline flow restrictor. There is still a very small risk of a flood if both the mechanical float and the solenoid fail, but with a flow restrictor, you can significantly reduce the amount of water added in the event of an extremely rare failure mode.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    If you take this approach, I would definately get a solenoid, a couple float switches, a mechanical float valve, and an inline flow restrictor. There is still a very small risk of a flood if both the mechanical float and the solenoid fail, but with a flow restrictor, you can significantly reduce the amount of water added in the event of an extremely rare failure mode.

Thanks for the input. To clarify it a little more. I am planning to buy the whole ATK kit. The solenoid I want to set up as the backup in case the optical sensors and float fails. It seems I can program the solenoid to turn off the water flow if it runs more than a set time. Is this correct? Also I am going to throw in a leak detector. The flow restrictor is a great idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by trucker den View Post
    Thanks for the input. To clarify it a little more. I am planning to buy the whole ATK kit. The solenoid I want to set up as the backup in case the optical sensors and float fails. It seems I can program the solenoid to turn off the water flow if it runs more than a set time. Is this correct? Also I am going to throw in a leak detector. The flow restrictor is a great idea too.
    You will save a little bit of money of you buy (2) OS-1 with magnetic mount, a float valve of your choice, and the FMM unless you have some other use for the PMUP. Though the extra cost might be worth it for the nice mounting bracket.

The ATK can shutoff if it runs too long. The default code uses 5 minutes, but that can be customized. This requires that you use the solenoid and optical sensors for primary control and the mechanical float as a backup otherwise the apex can't time the running.