Thread: Amazon Alexa Integration with APEX Fusion FAQ

Lightbulb Amazon Alexa Integration with APEX Fusion FAQ

Amazon Alexa & APEX Fusion FAQ

Please read through this entire article before attempting to setup and use Alexa with APEX Fusion.

Q: What Apex models can I use with Amazon Alexa?

A: Alexa integrates with APEX Fusion and works with ALL Apex models - Apex, ApexEL, Apex Classic, Apex Lite, and Apex Jr

Q: What do I need to have to use Alexa with APEX Fusion?

A: You need:

• An Amazon Account
    • An APEX Fusion account
    • One or more Apex systems linked to your APEX Fusion account
    • An Amazon brand Echo device, or the Alexa app for iOS or Android installed on a smartphone or tablet, or an Amazon Fire family tablet, or other device labeled as "Works With Alexa"

Q: Can I use Alexa directly with an Apex which is not linked to APEX Fusion or does not have an Internet connection

A: No; APEX Fusion provides the interface between Alexa and an Apex, so your Apex must be Internet-connected and be linked to APEX Fusion.

Q: What can I do with Alexa and APEX Fusion?

A: You can:

• Ask for a status report to obtain a spoken summary of key tank parameters
    • Ask for the status of a particular item, such as a probe value or the state of an output
    • Activate a Feed Cycle
    • Cancel a Feed Cycle
    • Turn an output ON or OFF
    • Put an output in AUTO
    • Log test results obtained from test kits such as alkalinity, calcium, phosphate, etc.
    • Switch voice control between the Apexes you own or have access to

Here are just a few examples of voice commands:

• Alexa, ask Apex Fusion for a status report.
    • Alexa, ask Apex Fusion for the status of the reactor.
    • Alexa, ask Apex Fusion to turn on feed mode A.
    • Alexa, ask Apex Fusion to start tank maintenance.
    • Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to turn on the skimmer.
    • Alexa, ask Apex Fusion to turn the T5 lights to auto.
    • Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to log alkalinity as 8.3 dKH.
    • Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to control a different system

A much more comprehensive list of example commands may be found in the APEX Fusion help on the Voice view.

Q: What is in the status report?

A: The content of the status report is up to you. It is configurable for each Apex, and may include current probe readings, switch states (OPEN or CLOSED), and/or output states as you desire. We recommend you keep this status report short, limiting it to contain only the most important information. You can always ask specifically for the status/state of something that is not configured in your Apex's status report.

Q: What Amazon regions and languages are supported?

A: The APEX Fusion skill works in the English (US), English (CA), English (UK), and English (AU) regions.

Q: How do I set up Alexa to work with APEX Fusion?

A: It takes just a minute to setup the APEX Fusion skill and link your Amazon and APEX Fusion accounts.

1. Sign into your Amazon account using the applicable Alexa web app for your region (https://alexa.amazon.com, https://alexa.amazon.ca, https://alexa.amazon.co.uk, or https://alexa.amazon.com.au). You may also use the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
    2. Click Skills
    3. In the search box, type "Apex Fusion" then click the search button
    4. Select the APEX Fusion skill
    5. Click the big blue Enable button
    6. Follow the prompts.
    7. Issue this voice command: "Alexa, ask Apex Fusion for a status report." The response will vary depending on how many Apexes you own and/or have access to.

Q: I want to change which Apex is controlled via Alexa. How do I do that?

A: There are three ways:

Using Alexa: Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to control a different system. Alexa will then interactively guide you through selection of an Apex to control.

Using APEX Fusion:

On the Apex List view, click the gear button for the Apex you wish to control. Choose the Enable Voice item, then follow the prompts. If you see a Voice item instead of Enable Voice, that Apex is already selected; the Voice item will take you to the Alexa configuration page for that Apex.

- or -

In APEX Fusion, click the Fusion account name in the upper right corner; from the drop-down menu, choose the Settings menu item, then choose the Alexa option. You can then see the currently-selected Apex, select a different, or remove the current Apex from being controlled via Alexa.

Q: I have granted access to my Apex to other people through APEX Fusion. Can they still control my Apex via Alexa?

A: Yes; access to an Apex via Alexa is handled the same way as access through APEX Fusion - what that other person may do depends on the level of access you have granted that other person in APEX Fusion.

• If you have given View access to another APEX Fusion user, that person will be able to request a status report and request the status of a probe or output, but cannot change or control anything.
    • If you have given Control access to another APEX Fusion user, that person will be able to request status, activate or cancel Feed Cycles, and may control outputs, but will not be allowed to change programming or do any other configuration of the Apex, including modification of the Alexa settings.
    • If you have given Program or Manage access to another APEX Fusion user, that person will be able to request status, activate or cancel Feed Cycles, may control outputs, and will be allowed to modify the Alexa settings in APEX Fusion.

Q: How can I learn more about setting up and using Alexa with APEX Fusion?

A: Use the built-in help. Alexa help is found in two places:

• To learn more about managing the Apex selection for Alexa in APEX Fusion, click the Fusion account name in the upper right corner; from the drop-down menu, choose the Settings menu item, then choose the Alexa option. Then click the ? button.
    • To learn more about configuring a Apex for voice control, select the desired Apex from the Apex List view, click the Expand (3 gears) button, then the Voice (microphone) button. Click the ? button - take the Tour first, then read the Information page.

Amazon, Alexa and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Good news! Amazon has now approved the use of the APEX Fusion skill for use in Canada; it is now available to those of you who have English (CA) as your Alexa language option. The FAQ has been updated accordingly.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.