Thread: Shortcut to Controlling another System?

New User

Shortcut to Controlling another System?

Hi,

I've been using the Alexa integration now for a long time and do believe it makes things much easier for me. However, I have a multiple Apex systems throughout my house, and changing Alexa from one to the other is a bit more cumbersome than ideal. Moreover, it creates confusion when I have someone feeding my fish while I am on vacation. I know that I can say "Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to control another system" and then it will read off to me, one at at time, each of my systems and ask if that is the one I want it to control. I would LOVE to say "Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to control [system name]". I've tried to say different things to see if it will respond, but haven't found the magic combination (if there is one). If there is, can someone let me know what it is? If not, I'd like to make a feature request to have something like this available.

Thank you,

Rob

Hey Rob,

I understand there's a desire to switch directly to another system. What's currently limiting us from doing this is the fact that Apex names cannot have spaces, so verbally speaking something like "Alexa, ask Apex Fusion to control Joes_Nano_Reef" would be near impossible for Alexa to deduce unless you literally say "Joe's underscore nano underscore reef."

Instead of building some complex way of dealing with underscores, I would rather allow users to alias a given Apex in the same way you would alias an outlet. Since this only affects people with multiple systems & Alexa, I don't know how soon we will prioritize something like this, but I am aware that the current way to switch systems is less-than-ideal, and I would love to do what you've suggested in a future update.