Thread: How to trigger alarm in the event of GFIC trip?

Regular Vistor

How to trigger alarm in the event of GFIC trip?

Is there a way to trigger an alarm if AMP draw = 0 on an EB 4 tied to an EB 832?

The GFCI tripped on my EB 4 today but I didn't notice it for quite a while since everything looked normal on fusion. I also have an EB 832 on a separate GFCI which did not trip. The green light on the EB 4 was still on, however, and the amp chart shows large spikes during the period where the GFCI was tripped. Given the magnitude of these spikes I'm assuming they can't be accurate.

Thanks

Capture.PNG

You can for an EB832 but it's kinda bass ackwards. The better way to do it is to use the power statement

If Power EnergyBarName Off 000 Then ON

Using the amps readings requires a convoluted VO using this basic form.

NoAmps
    Set OFF
    If Outlet1Name Amps < 0.2 Then ON
    If Outlet2Name Amps > 0.2 Then OFF
    If Outlet3Name Amps > 0.2 Then OFF

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Does the power statement work for you? (actually tested - Go pull the plug on an EB8 and see how long till you get an alert)

I had a big issue with Neptune because the Power statement doesn't work on the EB8's - Once a GFI trips if you look at the Amp readings on an EB8 (at least in my system) the amp draw swings from 2 to 80 and goes back and forth. The POWER statement doesn't work. Neptune says its because I have too many EB8's on the system.

Neptune said I needed the EB8-32's they had me replace 5 EB8 with EB8-32.

Last night had a GFI pop.... And the POWER statement for the EB8-32 doesn't work either.

The workaround is to have to measure watts on individual outlets. But on my EB8's there aren't things that are necessarily on 24/7 - And per Neptune it has to be something with a big draw, like a heater. In my system the heaters are all 220v and the EB8 only switches relays.

I love that to use a 'FEATURE' - we have to find workarounds on our own.

Quote Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
    Does the power statement work for you? (actually tested - Go pull the plug on an EB8 and see how long till you get an alert)

I had a big issue with Neptune because the Power statement doesn't work on the EB8's - Once a GFI trips if you look at the Amp readings on an EB8 (at least in my system) the amp draw swings from 2 to 80 and goes back and forth. The POWER statement doesn't work. Neptune says its because I have too many EB8's on the system.

Neptune said I needed the EB8-32's they had me replace 5 EB8 with EB8-32.

Last night had a GFI pop.... And the POWER statement for the EB8-32 doesn't work either.

The workaround is to have to measure watts on individual outlets. But on my EB8's there aren't things that are necessarily on 24/7 - And per Neptune it has to be something with a big draw, like a heater. In my system the heaters are all 220v and the EB8 only switches relays.

I love that to use a 'FEATURE' - we have to find workarounds on our own.
    It does or at least should work. I've seen it bug out and not work correctly when I had 3-4 EB8s on my old tank. It was hit or miss though and only some firmware versions had the issue and others were perfect.

The workaround I show above is better than checking individual outlets on EB832s. That VO form only activates if every outlet on the energy bar is drawing no power, which is much less likely to occur normally.

Frequent Visitor
    But what about an EB8-32 that has 8 outlets which aren't always on? Your VO is based on Outlet 1 always having a 20watt draw.

It seems you would need 8 VO that only trigger when an outlet is supposed to be on, but then no power is being consumed.

Adding that many more lines of code to the Apex just to get a basic feature to work is not going to help with system stability.

But what about an EB8-32 that has 8 outlets which aren't always on? Your VO is based on Outlet 1 always having a 20watt draw.

It seems you would need 8 VO that only trigger when an outlet is supposed to be on, but then no power is being consumed.

Adding that many more lines of code to the Apex just to get a basic feature to work is not going to help with system stability.
    Nope. If a particular outlet isn't always on, you would change to

Set ON
    If Output Outlet1 Watts > 0.2 Then OFF
    If Output Outlet2 Watts > 0.2 Then OFF

This VO is only true if every outlet is not drawing current AND at least one outlet is actually turned ON.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Nope. If a particular outlet isn't always on, you would change to

Set ON
    If Output Outlet1 Watts > 0.2 Then OFF
    If Output Outlet2 Watts > 0.2 Then OFF

This VO is only true if every outlet is not drawing current AND at least one outlet is actually turned ON.
    I apologize, I didn't explain myself correctly. I have several EB8's that don't always have "at least one outlet on". If things are going well, an outlet may turn on only once every 24 hrs.

Dave B

I apologize, I didn't explain myself correctly. I have several EB8's that don't always have "at least one outlet on". If things are going well, an outlet may turn on only once every 24 hrs.

Dave B
    The method I show in the last post accounts for this. If the outlet is physically OFF, the wattage line is false. It of course would not notify you of a GFCI trip until at least one outlet turns ON and fails to draw any wattage, but it's a decent stopgap if the power statement is being fussy.