Thread: Need Breakout Box Help

Regular Vistor

Need Breakout Box Help

Hello,

I just purchased & installed a Breakout Box for two float switches, one in my ATO reservoir & the other in my skimmer cup (mainly for email alarm notifications & skimmer shutoff). After BoB installation, the switches do not change status on my Fusion (or classic) dashboard when thrown in either direction. My ATO float switch is a horizontal Madison normally closed, and it's currently installed in that orientation so that it will open when the water level drops below the switch. However, even though that switch is currently closed the tile for that switch in Fusion remains showing open. The skimmer switch is not yet installed in the cup, but both switches test OK independently with my multimeter.

I'm using a terminal block for all BoB ground wires (thanks to @damonbrodie) and all the wiring & connections both independent and going through the BoB also check out OK on the multimeter. While connected to the multimeter I can throw either switch and see the change in continuity (resistance) on the multimeter, however while looking at Fusion on my laptop at the same time there still is no status change at the switch tile. I have no idea what could be wrong and don't know where to turn next - any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jace K.

The switch inputs will reflect the state change instantly, but the Apex Fusion dashboard does not update instantly - there is a periodic refresh interval; you need to hold the float switch in position and give the dashboard a chance to refresh - 20-30 seconds.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the response Russ. I installed the Bob yesterday - the ATO float switch has been in a constant closed state, yet the Open/Closed tiles in Fusion have only shown "Open" and have never moved to "Closed" since installation. After reading your reply, I hooked up the other switch and put it in a closed state, yet that tile too shows open. Also, I just did some testing following the BoB Getting Started video and used a light bulb plugged into an empty slot on the energy bar with the following configuration:
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If SKMflt CLOSED Then ON (SKMflt = skimmer float switch - renamed for SW1)

The lamp failed to come on after moving the float to a closed position in that test. With the switches and wiring testing in good order on my multimeter, is it an issue of the Bob not communicating the switch state to the controller?

Quote Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
    Thanks for the response Russ. I installed the Bob yesterday - the ATO float switch has been in a constant closed state, yet the Open/Closed tiles in Fusion have only shown "Open" and have never moved to "Closed" since installation. After reading your reply, I hooked up the other switch and put it in a closed state, yet that tile too shows open. Also, I just did some testing following the BoB Getting Started video and used a light bulb plugged into an empty slot on the energy bar with the following configuration:
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If SKMflt CLOSED Then ON (SKMflt = skimmer float switch - renamed for SW1)

The lamp failed to come on after moving the float to a closed position in that test. With the switches and wiring testing in good order on my multimeter, is it an issue of the Bob not communicating the switch state to the controller?
    Was the BOB fully seated and did you properly land the wires so one side is in an input and the other side in GND?

Did you make sure you are checking the right inputs? If you have a PM module, there are several sets of inputs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Was the BOB fully seated and did you properly land the wires so one side is in an input and the other side in GND?

Did you make sure you are checking the right inputs? If you have a PM module, there are several sets of inputs.

Hi Zombie,

By fully seated, I assume you're referring to the DIN cable - if so, yes it is fully seated and all 6 switch tiles appear on the Fusion & Classic dashboards (SW1-SW6). I renamed the first two, the ones I intend to use at the moment. I don't have a PM, only a WXM & FMM, so there's just the one set of switches. And, all the wiring appears to be proper and has been reconnected and rechecked. Wiring & switches all check out using my multimeter for resistance, or lack thereof - when I move the floats , they will show open or closed both independently (detached from the BoB) as well as when run through the BoB.

Edit: And, for the heck of it I just now connected a wire to i6 and another to ground. When I touch those two wires together there is no reaction at the switch tile on Fusion (stays showing Open). When I connect those same two wires to the multimeter & touch them together I get a closed circuit.

I would inspect the din cable for bent or broken pins and if it looks good I would contact support.

Regular Vistor
    The pins all appear to be good, plus I would think that if bad the switch tiles wouldn't show up in Fusion. I have contacted support - thanks for chiming in Zombie!

Quote Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
    The pins all appear to be good, plus I would think that if bad the switch tiles wouldn't show up in Fusion. I have contacted support - thanks for chiming in Zombie!
    The switch tiles are always there whether the BOB is connected or not. The BOB is just a wiring harness to connect to the internal sensors.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The switch tiles are always there whether the BOB is connected or not. The BOB is just a wiring harness to connect to the internal sensors.

Gotcha, thanks.