Thread: Help with heater

New User

Help with heater

Hi,
    New here and first post. This is also the first time I have had anything to do with an Apex unit. I have set my heater to the following, but appears not to be working

Fallback On
    If Temp < 24.0 Then On
    If Temp > 29.5 Then Off
    If Temp < 20.0 Then Off
    This is in Celsius

Also should the switch be in the auto position or manual. Any help would be appreciated, Thank you.

It should be in AUTO and I would not suggest that large of a range. 0.5 C between the upper and lower setpoint would be as far as I would go there.

If you are attempting to have your heater control the temp with the apex as a backup (I prefer the other way around), then you want this format

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If Temp > 29.5 Then OFF
    Min Time 015:00 Then OFF

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Than you very much Zombie for you reply, most helpful. To be honest I am not certain how I am trying to control the temp, either with the apex or with the apex as a backup. Your guidance on this would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Apex as primary extends the life of the heater and allows finer control over the temp range. It also allows to to more easily integrate additional failsafes. The back draw is that it is more difficult to detect when the heater thermostat fails.

Apex as backup has the benefit of detecting the heater thermostat failing easier since it will shut off on the backup temp when it does and you can be alerted when it shuts off.

I use apex primary myself because I prefer the finer control and easier integration with alternate failsafes.

New User
    Ok, it seems like it might be best for the apex to control the heater. Please may I ask how do I go about doing this. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mot04 View Post
    Ok, it seems like it might be best for the apex to control the heater. Please may I ask how do I go about doing this. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Let's say your desired temp is 25C. You would set your heaters thermostat to about 26 (varies if its thermostat is offset from the apex temp). And use a code like this

Fallback ON
    If Temp < 24.9 Then ON
    If Temp > 25.0 Then OFF

If you have multiple heaters, this is a good code for two. Normally they alternate being used. If 1 alone can't keep up, both turn on. In the event the energy bar goes into fallback or the temp probe fails, only one heater is allowed to run using its internal thermostat.

Heater1
    Fallback ON
    If Temp < 24.9 Then ON
    If Time 00:00 to 11:59 Then OFF
    If Temp < 24.7 Then ON
    If Temp > 25.0 Then OFF

Heater2
    Fallback OFF
    If Temp < 24.9 Then ON
    If Time 12:00 to 23:59 Then OFF
    If Temp < 24.7 Then ON
    If Temp > 25.0 Then OFF
    If Temp < 22.0 Then OFF

There are additional things you can do such as using a VO to detect when a heater fails and automatically swap over to the other one.

New User
    Right, that is basically what I had when I first started this post. I set this by going to output configuration, control type heater, fallback on, on temp 24, off temp 25
    This did not work for me. Obviously I am missing something here

Assuming that the slider is in the AUTO position, I am going to guess that the issue actually is that you are expecting something different than the programming does.

Let’s look at an example at the expected behavior when two If Temp statements are used.

If Temp < 77.1 Then ON
    If Temp > 77.9 Then OFF

With this program, the outlet will turn ON as soon as the temperature drops below 77.1. It will then stay ON until the temp hits 78.0, and then will turn OFF. It will then stay OFF until the temp goes below 77.1 again, then will turn ON, stay on until the temp once again exceeds 77.9, so on and so forth.

You also need to set the thermostat of the heater slightly higher than the high threshold in the Apex programming.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Ok, thank you I now understand