Thread: What do i need - recommendations

New User

Cool What do i need - recommendations

Hey experts, I've been researching however haven't really come up with a definitive answer. Just getting back into marine, got out of it before due to change in life. However things have settled for me now, but so much has changed.
    Anyway long story short, i'm picking up a tank thats already setup and running. However i want to automate it as much as possible, the tank has a auto top up already built in. I'll list what im getting with it and let me know what you think i should change to automate as much as possible, apex it
    cade pr1200 Tank
    teco 500 chiller
    coral box wifi doser
    jebao wavemaker
    jebao dc5000 return pump
    coral box d500s skimmer
    coral box d500s skimmer
    2 x coral box moon led
    1 all spectrum moon led for sump

If someone could offer me some advice it would be very appreciated, i've asked some fish stores however i seem to get the run around. Also get told apex only turns things on and off, i know this is not just what they do. I would also like the option to automate water changes.

Thanks in advance

I would get an apex 2016 and some jebao adaptors so you can control the speed of those.

If you want to do AWC then you also will need a DOS. These are also great for 2 part if you plan on an SPS or mixed reef tank.

You should also pick up a breakout box so you can use float switches to detect things like low sump, overflows, etc before things spill over or run dry, and magnetic door switches are nice too so the refugium light comes on automatically when you open the door.

You will also need heaters. Get at least 2 that are 1/2 to 3/4 recommended wattage for your tank and have an internal thermostat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Thanks Zombie, really appreciate your input. Do you think i should look at other pumps and wavemakers to make it easier to control or it wont make much difference ?
    Also i was looking they have an orp sensor with the kit, should i look at getting an ozone generator ?
    Another thing i've noticed, they have flow monitors should i get these to monitor the flow of the pumps etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by ausratty View Post
    Thanks Zombie, really appreciate your input. Do you think i should look at other pumps and wavemakers to make it easier to control or it wont make much difference ?
    Also i was looking they have an orp sensor with the kit, should i look at getting an ozone generator ?
    Another thing i've noticed, they have flow monitors should i get these to monitor the flow of the pumps etc ?
    Jebaos can work fine as a stopgap, but you will eventually want something better like a WAV or vortechs. The Jebao programming is complicated and they aren't incredibly reliable. On my nice 65g I use a WAV and a Gyre. On my cheapie biocube build thats mostly a QT observation tank I use jebaos.

Ozone is something that very few tanks benefit from and is very easy to crash your tank with if you aren't very experienced and use multiple layers of failsafe. I would avoid it altogether. The only thing I use ORP for is dead fish detection.

Flow monitors or leak detectors are good for piece of mind but aren't by any means necessary. If you're on a tight budget they are overkill, but if you have a large budget they are worth it.

New User
    Thanks again mate, Budget is definitely a consideration however I always like to do it right the first time. Always saves money in the long term.
    Righto i'll skip ozone
    So at this stage i have to order
    APEX 2016
    DOS
    Break out (still to find this)
    Some pumps and power heads
    I assume its not worth changing lights at this stage ? I mean i can control them from the app anyway. If for whatever reason the apex needs to kill them it can with the power board.

Thanks again mate, Budget is definitely a consideration however I always like to do it right the first time. Always saves money in the long term.
    Righto i'll skip ozone
    So at this stage i have to order
    APEX 2016
    DOS
    Break out (still to find this)
    Some pumps and power heads
    I assume its not worth changing lights at this stage ? I mean i can control them from the app anyway. If for whatever reason the apex needs to kill them it can with the power board.
    Those lights are fine for softies and fish. You will need more power to do high light corals like SPS. I would use them for the initial cycle and testing the waters with corals and then upgrade when you feel ready to do SPS.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Jebaos can work fine as a stopgap...

... The only thing I use ORP for is dead fish detection.

Flow monitors or leak detectors are good for piece of mind but aren't by any means necessary. If you're on a tight budget they are overkill, but if you have a large budget they are worth it.
    Definitely agree about Jebao pumps being unreliable for the long haul and would even consider saying don't waste the money on any form of interface modules that are Jebao specific. Save up and get gyres with modules or wavs.

How do you use ORP for dead fish detection? I've been sitting at 340-345 for over a week now and had 2 fish go missing, most definitely dead in the tank and never saw a flutter. They were small however, about 2.5" chromis.

If you eventually get the Apex Auto Topoff Kit then the Leak Detectors are worth the 30 bucks. Make sure you get the one with a headphone jack not a phone jack if it's to get plugged into the Flow Monitor Module. My system is on my lower level about 6 feet away from my sump pump that's in the utility room behind the family room wall my tank is against, and the concrete under the carpet slopes towards the crock. I have my leak detector sitting right on the lid for the sump pump so if the house backs up for some reason (heavy rain, septic backup, whatever) or the tank leaks, either way I get an alert that water is sitting on top of the area that's supposed to stay dry.

New User
    So far this is what i've ordered, i've ordered a few switches etc from ebay. Also grabbed a door switch as you suggested.
    If you can think of anything else let me know. I believe i need a cable for the octo, still looking into this.

APEX

APEX 2016 (full kit)
    APEX DOS dosing unit
    Apex I/O Breakout Box
    Apex ALD Solid-Surface Probe
    Apex AFS Automatic Feeding System
    Apex Optical Level Sensor x 3
    Apex WAV Starter Kit
    OCTO VarioS 6 Water Pump

Other Equipment
    2 x Titanium Heaters

The optical level sensors won't work without an FMM module

You also want the FMM version of the leak detector with the headphone style jack and not the ALD style.

I would grab a few float switches as well for extra sensing of things like checking that your overflow hasn't clogged. I really like the mount on these though the floats themselves are only so-so quality https://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_D...FIDPAT-vi.html

Toggle switches can come in handy too. I use two in my system, one to stop the skimmer for skimmer cup cleaning and another that's an emergency all stop if something fails drastically and I don't have time to fumble around.

The Varios does need a special cable to connect to the varspd outputs. It is called a apex Y cable https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-mod...le-icecap.html

New User
    So I've added the FMK to my collection, its starting to add up now.
    Next question, due to this tank having an auto RO, if im doing auto water changes should i be looking at some how disabling this during those changes ? Or if its dragging the water in and out at the same time i guess it wouldnt matter ?

So I've added the FMK to my collection, its starting to add up now.
    Next question, due to this tank having an auto RO, if im doing auto water changes should i be looking at some how disabling this during those changes ? Or if its dragging the water in and out at the same time i guess it wouldnt matter ?
    No need to disable ATO for continuous water changes. Since the amounts are small and water is removed the same time it is added, variations in water level end up averaging out and don't have an effect.

New User
    Thanks so much for all of your help mate . We'll see if i can get it all to work now.