Thread: Did I mess up with the FS-50?

Moved on...

Question Did I mess up with the FS-50?

Ok I bought the Apex FMK (Flow Monitor Kit) and installed the 1/2 flow sensor in line in my return hose to my DT . I have a EFLUX return pump that pumps up to 1050 gph. Before I installed the senor I ran my pump and 70% power and everything seemed to be good. I could see where it raised the water on the glass across the tank so it really seemed to have a great turn over. I was never really sure what the GPH was for sure. After I installed the flow senor and turned my pump back on I had to turn the pump all the way up to 100% and also adjust my valve on my drain pipe. My flow sensor is showing that I have 219GPH from my flow pump. I just dont feel like it is flowing like it was though. My over all capacity of my tank is 43 gallons so I am barely getting over 5 times my tank in flow and for me that isnt enough. The kit that I got (FMK kit) came with a 1" and two 1/2' flow senor. I am wondering if I should move up to the 1" sensor because the 1/2" might be restricting the flow way to much and causing way to much back pressure and not allowing what I need. I just dont believe that a 1050gph pump is only going to put out 219gph. I know you will lose some of your pressure from different stuff but I just dont see it losing that much. I wanted to get the thoughts of other people and see what you think. I am also wondering if it might be the fittings that I have on the sensor to join to the return hose going back to the tank. The openings on each end seem to be kind of small to me. Please give me your thoughts or maybe what you had to do with yours as well.

That pump is rated for 210-1050 gph with an output of 3/4". You definitely want to be using the 1" sensor not the 1/2".

NSI Member
    Are you running 3/4" for the rest of the return plumbing? If so you definitely need to use the 1" sensor. The 1/2" is more intended for things like reactors.

Moved on...
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholb View Post
    Are you running 3/4" for the rest of the return plumbing? If so you definitely need to use the 1" sensor. The 1/2" is more intended for things like reactors.
    No the hose that I am using for all of my return is 1/2 " as well. That is what came with the reefer 170 when I got it and I just stayed with it and didnt want to change over to PVC. I like the movement that I get with the flexible hose that it has with it.

NSI Member
    The flow meter does add some restriction in the pipe. Are you using barbed fittings to connect the meter to the flexible pipe? Those do reduce the inside diameter. What I would probably do is get some 3/4" flexible hose. If you get the PVC flexible hose you can also avoid the barbed fittings and glue it to slip ones. Run the 3/4" from the pump to the 1" flow sensor. Then 3/4" all the way to the 1/2" return fitting on the tank. Keeping the larger diameter for most of the run will reduce your friction loss and get you more flow.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholb View Post
    The flow meter does add some restriction in the pipe. Are you using barbed fittings to connect the meter to the flexible pipe? Those do reduce the inside diameter. What I would probably do is get some 3/4" flexible hose. If you get the PVC flexible hose you can also avoid the barbed fittings and glue it to slip ones. Run the 3/4" from the pump to the 1" flow sensor. Then 3/4" all the way to the 1/2" return fitting on the tank. Keeping the larger diameter for most of the run will reduce your friction loss and get you more flow.
    This, except I would go 1" from the pump to the flow sensor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Moved on...
    well I moved it up to 1IN and still the most I could get out of the pump was about 306. I think there is something wrong with the pump. I got in touch with Current and they have sent me a new pump. I got it in yesterday and I havent put it on yet. I will either do it tonight or wait till tomorrow night and do it. I hope this helps me. I also ordered a new red sea barbed fitting to go one the end of the plumbing from the tank it will now be 3/4 as well. I am hoping with all this bigger hose, I upped the whole hose to 3/4 as well, that it will bring the flow up as well. I was to at least get 550 GPH but would love more. I think before lone I will be moving over to the Neptune Apex pump so it will work in line with my Apex better and in all in all be a better pump, I feel that is.