Thread: Issue with calibration of ph probe 10.0 packet

New User

Issue with calibration of ph probe 10.0 packet

Im doing the automatic calibration and when i get to the 10.0 packet the acceptable range has a red warning and wont calibrate and i end up with an error. The settling portion has a green checkmark. I have matched the temp of the packets to my tank and also tried rinsing and drying in between as well as tap it for air bubbles. Please any information would be helpful.

Edit: When trying to do a manual calibration, both numbers settle at 700 -701

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Veetz89 View Post
    Im doing the automatic calibration and when i get to the 10.0 packet the acceptable range has a red warning and wont calibrate and i end up with an error. The settling portion has a green checkmark. I have matched the temp of the packets to my tank and also tried rinsing and drying in between as well as tap it for air bubbles. Please any information would be helpful.

Edit: When trying to do a manual calibration, both numbers settle at 700 -701
    Interesting I am having the same problem. I am using the Neptune Calibration fluids and they just arrived from BRS. Anyone else have this issue or know the fix?

New User
    Im going to be passing by my LFS tomorrow and seeing if i can pick up another packet. Are you also having the same issue with the manual calibration?

Regular Vistor
    Im going to be passing by my LFS tomorrow and seeing if i can pick up another packet. Are you also having the same issue with the manual calibration?
    I haven't tried manual yet. I just started over and the timer has gone down and its ramping back up. Strange... maybe the probe is bad? Is yours new?

New User
    Yea brand new, got it today

Regular Vistor
    I think its the fluid... is yours the orange Neptune packaged fluid (the 10.0)? When I tried the manual calibration it only went to 801 and settled there (should have settled in the 10xx range). SO after getting tired of waiting I uploaded the settings and left the probe in the fluid. Yup - shows PH of 8.01 when it should be 10.00 or close to it.
    Last edited by Navymedic; 10-18-2018 at 14:59. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by Navymedic View Post
    Interesting I am having the same problem. I am using the Neptune Calibration fluids and they just arrived from BRS. Anyone else have this issue or know the fix?
    Unplug the probe and run a manual calibration. Then plug it back in and check that it reads near 0 for dry +-100 and reads in the ballpark of 500-700 in the calibration solution.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Unplug the probe and run a manual calibration. Then plug it back in and check that it reads near 0 for dry +-100 and reads in the ballpark of 500-700 in the calibration solution.
    This is incorrect and completely inapplicable to pH probe calibration.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    This is incorrect and completely inapplicable to pH probe calibration.
    That is for conductivity. Didn't read closely enough to notice the poster mentioned pH.

New User
    I think its the fluid... is yours the orange Neptune packaged fluid (the 10.0)? When I tried the manual calibration it only went to 801 and settled there (should have settled in the 10xx range). SO after getting tired of waiting I uploaded the settings and left the probe in the fluid. Yup - shows PH of 8.01 when it should be 10.00 or close to it.

So you still arent abke to calibrate right?

Yea my package is the orange fluid. I also got it from brs. I'm a little ticked off because neptune support is asking me for a picture of the probe and where its plugged in... it can only go into one socket.. BRS also redirected me to neptune. Youd think they'd send me another packet of calibration fluid out of courtesy.

Regular Vistor
    So you still arent abke to calibrate right?

Yea my package is the orange fluid. I also got it from brs. I'm a little ticked off because neptune support is asking me for a picture of the probe and where its plugged in... it can only go into one socket.. BRS also redirected me to neptune. Youd think they'd send me another packet of calibration fluid out of courtesy.

I will be calling them today. I will ask that they send a different calibration fluid, maybe this batch is bad...

New User
    I will be calling them today. I will ask that they send a different calibration fluid, maybe this batch is bad...

I just came back from the lfs and bought 2 more packets. Same issue. I'm pretty sure it's the probe.

New User

Let me know what they say, They made me schedule a phone call for monday. Im pretty ticked off that i literally have had this for less than 24 hours and i cant even get their LAB GRADE probe to work...

New User
    I have the exact same issue. Not a good way to start with apex.

Did you guys twist the BNC connector onto the port properly? That kind of behavior can occur when the probe isnt fully seated correctly.

New User
    Just double checked. Yes it is connected properly as far as I can yell

Frequent Visitor
    Having same issue with new PH probe with the EL. Any update/resolution?

New User
    Neptune replaced my probe and the replacement works perfectly.

Frequent Visitor
    Did you remove the plastic cover from the probe?

Are you calibrating the correct probe? pH probe is blue.

Is the correct probe plugged into the correct port? pH port is in the middle of the stack while the ORP is at the bottom next to the conductivity and VDM ports.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
    Did you remove the plastic cover from the probe?

Are you calibrating the correct probe? pH probe is blue.

Is the correct probe plugged into the correct port? pH port is in the middle of the stack while the ORP is at the bottom next to the conductivity and VDM ports.
    Brand new probe out of the box with the EL bundle. EL controller only has one BNC connector for the pH probe. Yes, removed rubber tip. Temperature matched solutions with tank temp. Rinsed probe before and between solutions in RO.

Existing pH probe calibrated just fine in same solutions.

Frequent Visitor
    Start a ticket with support. Make to document all the steps you have taken so far.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
    Start a ticket with support. Make to document all the steps you have taken so far.
    Support ticket opened - response from Neptune within a few hours. They asked for readings during a manual calibration cycle (and the readings while in the 10.0 solution was WAY off) - so hopefully that will lead us to a solution/resolution...

New User
    I just had the same issue purchase my apex a week ago from Marine Depot , box came open inside and sealed outsine , i am having same issue with ph probe and just open a account here to read info .... good to know is not just me ,,,, i am brand new to Apex

Frequent Visitor
    I had a support call with Neptue. In addition to rebooting the system and doing the auto calibration, they also rebooted, screen shared into my PC and connected to apex/local and were finally successful doing a manual calibration. The tech I worked with indicated that sometimes doing a calibration via fusion has just enough delay where it won't successfully calibrate. I hadn't read/tried the calibration via apex/local prior to the call with Neptune support.

reefanatik
    Quote Originally Posted by Detour View Post
    I had a support call with Neptue. In addition to rebooting the system and doing the auto calibration, they also rebooted, screen shared into my PC and connected to apex/local and were finally successful doing a manual calibration. The tech I worked with indicated that sometimes doing a calibration via fusion has just enough delay where it won't successfully calibrate. I hadn't read/tried the calibration via apex/local prior to the call with Neptune support.
    i was having the same issue and read your post. I was able to calibrate through my display module. The fusion calibration was not reading correctly, I guess it was the delay like the agent said. Thanks for posting, I was getting very frustrated not being able to calibrate a brand new probe with their solution.