Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VDM controlling Leds

New User

VDM controlling Leds

I purchased a VDM yesterday and i hooked it up to my LEDs and the ramp up doesn't start until like 50 percent. With the voltmeter it is @ like 5.45 volts until the lights even comes on. Then when they do come on, it seems as if they are already on pretty high. It does seem to get brighter as time progresses but I would like it to start off a little dimmer. I have the start intensity set to 20 percent because when set to 0 percent it doesn't come on until close to the end of the time. Example if I have it set to ramp up time 10 mins start intensity 0 end intensity 100 , if time 10:00 to 10:10 ramp up. It will not come on until 10:07. Also does the same if set rampup time to 60 minutes. What am i doing wrong.

seems youre drivers youre using with your leds are the problem here. whats the specific model of the driver youre usinf?
    C​hris

New User
    Well the LEDs are Evergrow Dimmable Full Spectrum D120 Leds and on the potentiometer it works perfectly, but when bypassing the potentiometer and using apex, it doesn't dim correctly. I dont know the name of the chinese drivers

hi. im not exactly sure if this helps but i found this thread on rc

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2306251

take a look at it and see if this can help you out. from what ive read this driver has some special pcb build in
    that is kind of special in how it controls the leds.

best of luck
    c
    C​hris

if you dig more into the thread posted above the question comes up if theses drivers are dimming with a analog or pwm style dimming. the later would require a interface that changes the analog 0-10v signal of the apex varspeed port to a pwm signa that yyour driver can work withl. try to lookup on a post somewhere here about "dimming my led down below 10%". inside that thread theres a module listed thats just doing that. greets, c
    C​hris

out of curiosity i read alot of posts on several forums concerning this leds and came up with this conclusion : unless youre really deep into electronics and modifying things i think theres no easy way to get this leds to work with the signaling that the 0-10v signaling of the apex full or vdm module provides. not good info but i think im out of luck with helping you on this one.

regards,
    c
    C​hris

New User
    You've been great help anyway Thanks Chris

Regular Vistor
    Contact evermore

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

Regular Vistor
    Evergrow

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

New User
    Did anyone conclusively figure out how to mod the D120 fixture to be controlled by an Apex? It is my understanding that some changes have been made to to the D120 with respect to the Driver.

I'd also like to know if anyone has figured out how to do this?
    I just switched from the older style d120 to the newer style leds that are made by the same company? Idk if this makes a difference? They seem to have the same drivers though. Attached is a picture of the inside of the newer lights if it helps at all?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

So I got into my lights again because I wasn't getting any answers on here and found that my drivers say 0-10v dimming? So wouldn't that make them controllable with the apex?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonandsarah View Post
    So I got into my lights again because I wasn't getting any answers on here and found that my drivers say 0-10v dimming? So wouldn't that make them controllable with the apex?

If they are 0-10V dimming signal then you can control them directly with the apex. You just need to splice in the vdm cables into the dimmimg pin and parallel to the ground connection.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

That is what the driver says right? I just don't understand why everyone says you can't control these lights with the apex when I've owned 4 of these lights and they've all had these ballast? So wouldn't most of these lights be controllable with the apex?

New User
    I would contact evergrow and a service rep directly with Neptune. Between the toe in sure they could tell you what you need to do to get them working correctly. From what you are showing with a 0-10vt signal, they should work on the vdm.

Can you post a picture of the full label? Or at least type out the brand and complete module number of that driver.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

When I looked up the driver online the entire thing was in a different language. I got it translated into English but don't have it right on hand. If needed let me know and I'll get it from the other forum.

Am I allowed to post a link to a different forum? The translated specs is really long

Am I allowed to post a link to a different forum? The translated specs is really long

Yep

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

I found translated specs, and it does not come right out and say that the dimming control is analog 0-10v. All it says is "manual dimming"
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

So I have a fellow forum friend that's controlling his cheap Chinese leds (evergrow, reef Breeders) with a controller and 0-10v dimming. He explained to me how to do it but I'm still a little confused? Here's his explanation... in the inside of the light the board that the dimmer knob is on, unplug the plug that goes to the driver, on the board it should say 0-10,com,on/off. The positive side of 0-10 from apex goes to 0-10, com is ground and on/off stayes open, I used cat5

So questions are..
    1-would I need to connect 2 different jacks(rj45) in the light? White and blue dimming?
    2-would this take up 2 spots on the vdm? Or do you wire both dimming switches on one jack?
    3-if not how would I do it correctly? Ty

VDM controlling Leds

Each physical VarSpd jack in the Apex and VDM has two channels - each channel corresponds to one VarSpd outlet. So there are two 0-10v outlets per jack.

This sticky should help: http://forum.neptunesystems.com/show...e-amp-DIY-LEDs

Regular Vistor
    Russ I am planning on installing six Chinese LEDs over my aquarium is it possible to daisy chain the controller of this many lights or would there be issues because of the current draw?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3 - 5 tends to be the guidance with a lot of 'it depends' thrown in there for good measure. It's possible all 6 will work or perhaps the last 1 or 2 fixtures will be a little wonky (technical term) at times. All you can do is try and be prepared to recognize the symptoms if it doesn't work.

And it might not really be a daisy-chain - more like a splitter with 1 VDM going to multiple separate signal cables. Would depend on your fixture and does it have a 'signal in' and 'signal out' jack like the Kessil fixtures do.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you aquamaniac I suppose I could divide it to 3 and three and take up two ports on the VDM. I will be building them myself and at first I was thinking daisy chaining would be best then when I sketched it out I came to the same conclusion that you mention "And it might not really be a daisy-chain - more like a splitter with 1 VDM going to multiple separate signal cables. "

My plan at this point is to use the stereo cable method versus the network jack some people install in their lights. This way there are a bunch of off the shelf splitters I can purchase in various sizes to get the signals to the dimmer section of the switch. I will try to post pictures as I go if anyone is interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast