Thread: 1" Flow sensor suspect

1" Flow sensor suspect

I have a 1" flow sensor that just stopped reading one day. Nothing had changed on my system and after checking all the connections, firmware, other port on the FMM I decided it was time to pull it apart.

Expecting to find something lodged in there I was surprised to fine nothing inside. The wheel was VERY stiff and hard to turn. I removed the wheel and inspected it. There was what appeared to be rust on the point side of the shaft. I cleaned it and inspected the body. I found that there was a coating through the entire inside that felt like sand paper. When I rubbed it my finder would get coated in black.

i cleaned it all really well with vinegar and put it back together. It spins freely now and when I put it back on it is reading a value again. The value is not the same as it was before it stopped. It used to read 719-730gph and now it reads in the 530gph range. I'm not sure what the black coating was or if it is just going to build up again but the rust colored stuff was what worried me. I'm going to let it run and see what it does. If it stops again I will be taking pictures as I disassemble it to show what i find.

Has anyone else seen this with their sensors?

Mine recently just failed also... I didn’t notice any residue, but there was definitely some rust in there. After cleaning it and putting it back together it still reads zero. It’s out to warranty now, so I might play around with it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is slowly speeding up. It's now showing 615gph instead of the 538 gph that it was showing earlier. Nothing has changed on the settings during this time.

Just wanted to update on this issue. The Flow sensor has leveled out for the last two weeks a 635ish gph and has been fairly stable. I opened it up again last night and there was a small amount or the rust color on the pointed end of the shaft again but nothing like when I opened it before. The black grit has not returned yet either. I didn't clean it again as I want to see if it does the same thing as before. So it's reassembled and back running again. I will update again in a week or two as I track this.