Thread: Controlling VarioS 2 Pump (Reef Octopus Regal 150) w/ Apex Controller

New User

Controlling VarioS 2 Pump (Reef Octopus Regal 150) w/ Apex Controller

I have connected the Reef Octopus Regal 150INT w/ Varios 2 Pump into my Apex Base Unit Variable Speed (0/10V) using the Icecap Y module cable (compatible w/ VarioS pump). When I turn on the skimmer w/ Y mod cable connected - the skimmer goes into full power - overflowing the skimmer in seconds. Regardless of all 4 VARSPD turned on (or off) seems to have no control over the skimmer. Once I disconnect the Y cable from the skimmer (so I can use the skimmer control box to control) - I am able to run the skimmer pump at a normal speed - everything is normal - except for the fact I am not controlling the skimmer with the Apex. The power supply for the skimmer is plugged directly into a battery backup UPS - not the Apex Energy Bar.

I am unable to identify which VARSPD controls the pump since turning them all on or off has no effect. I am able to identify the "4 green lights" on the Apex Base Unit go on and off as I turn on or off the VARSPD in Fusion. I think the first step would be to know which VARSPD controls the pump (with the simply on/off test) - so I could move forward with configuring the correct VARSPD as a skimmer.

Have I misconfigured a hardware setup? Am I missing steps needed on the Apex Fusion configuration?

New User
    On is 100%, Off is 0%. As far as I know the varios only has 5 settings and I think its 20 40 60 80 100

Try doing (Change name for return pump outlet)

Fallback Off
    Set 20
    If Output ReturnPump = Off then Off
    Defer 05:00 then 20

and mess with the value on the set and the defer. the controller should light up 1 2 3 4 5 dots for whatever the apex is telling it to do.

You are using the right cable and there is no special hardware configuration required to use the variable speed ports.

I don't own a varios myself, but it sounds like you might have gotten a defective one if it's running full speed with all 4 ports set to OFF. I looked through the literature and there was no mention of any requirements other than just plugging the cable in and configuring the port.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    ... but it sounds like you might have gotten a defective one if it's running full speed with all 4 ports set to OFF. I looked through the literature and there was no mention of any requirements other than just plugging the cable in and configuring the port.

I can confirm that behavior from my gyres. if i set them to "off" in the code sometimes they'll go insane and run 100% too. Guessing its an apex bug where off and on can both = 100% I've only seen it a few times but if off isnt working trying setting it to 0 or 1