Thread: Keeping it simple with UPS battery backup

New User

Keeping it simple with UPS battery backup

Last weekend, Edison was working about 5 buildings down and shut the power off for maintenance work for 4hrs (no notice) - and it affected our other building. Gave me a scare that my tank is in the building that was almost affected by it - and I hadn't completed setting up UPS setup yet (because when the heater turned on - the UPS made the most annoying alarm sound that couldn't be bypassed).

So in light of a near miss - I wanted to get something up and going and perfect it later.

I've got two EB832 on two separate circuits. One will be used for UPS backed up items; the other does not have UPS. So I'm going for the "Scenario - Ultimate" setup from the APEXusers meetup at MACNA

Slides from Apex Power Monitoring and Management presentation (dragged) 2.jpg

So then - do I go into each of the items plugged into the UPS backed up. EB (in example - EB8_3) and to all the items I don't want on during an outage, add the line: If Power APEX OFF 000 Then OFF
    ?

And is there a way to see if the 12v is working? (I've already enabled "Power Monitor")

Thanks

New User
    Just for information - I've got two sets of gyres (4) on two separate controllers and on their own battery backup (IcePak) - and the controller is dialed in for 20% flow in case of power outage. So when the EB cuts the power to the IcePak - the gyres are on their own.

I'll probably later look to run two WAVs I have on the EB OSC for a few minutes every 30 mins

I've got a NYOS Quantum 300 (two motors) - so I'll probably shut it down to one in event of power outage

Chiller I'll set up later to maybe 3 deg above the normal 78 (though it's been off for last few months so I'm more worried about the cold side

Not sure how I'm going to do the heater - I guess I could keep one plugged in in case the temperature REALLY drops (like below 73)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyN View Post

So then - do I go into each of the items plugged into the UPS backed up. EB (in example - EB8_3) and to all the items I don't want on during an outage, add the line: If Power APEX OFF 000 Then OFF
    ?

And is there a way to see if the 12v is working? (I've already enabled "Power Monitor")

Thanks
    Yes. Add that line to anything you want OFF, or replace OFF with a profilename for things you want slowed.

You can verify operation by unplugging the 12V AUX power supply or killing the circuit the UPS is plugged into.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyN View Post
    Just for information - I've got two sets of gyres (4) on two separate controllers and on their own battery backup (IcePak) - and the controller is dialed in for 20% flow in case of power outage. So when the EB cuts the power to the IcePak - the gyres are on their own.

I'll probably later look to run two WAVs I have on the EB OSC for a few minutes every 30 mins

I've got a NYOS Quantum 300 (two motors) - so I'll probably shut it down to one in event of power outage

Chiller I'll set up later to maybe 3 deg above the normal 78 (though it's been off for last few months so I'm more worried about the cold side

Not sure how I'm going to do the heater - I guess I could keep one plugged in in case the temperature REALLY drops (like below 73)
    Heaters and chillers will drain your UPS really quick unless its HUGE. Best to leave those off entirely or go set to extreme temps since a hot or cold tank might piss things off a bit after many hours but lack of flow or oxygenation can kill in an hour or two so you want that to last as long as humanly possible.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Heaters and chillers will drain your UPS really quick unless its HUGE. Best to leave those off entirely or go set to extreme temps since a hot or cold tank might piss things off a bit after many hours but lack of flow or oxygenation can kill in an hour or two so you want that to last as long as humanly possible.

Thanks again!

One thing to consider: Add code to detect loss of power on the UPS circuit as well. They have circuit breakers of their own, so don't assume they will never fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    One thing to consider: Add code to detect loss of power on the UPS circuit as well. They have circuit breakers of their own, so don't assume they will never fail.
    Yes, though this only needs to go in the email. You could do an auto fail-over scheme between separate energy bars if you want to go super control freak for redundant devices like heaters or flow.