Thread: Both COR 20's losing flow output

Frequent Visitor

Both COR 20's losing flow output

So my tank is only 5 months old. I have two COR 20's. One is for my manifold and UV sterilizer, the other is my return pump. My system is tuned for approximate 680-710 gph flow which keeps my 2 overflows at a perfect level to minimize any drain noise. Over the last 2 weeks, the FMM flow meters have been slowly dropping. I thought maybe the flow meters were getting built up gunk on them and reading slower, but then I noticed one of the overflows was not maintaining its normal levels, an indication that actual return flow had dropped.

Normally the UV COR runs at 165-170 gph, it keeps dropping to 150. I bump it up 2%, goes back to 165-ish, then over the next few days gets back into the low 150's. I up it again, so far I am running about 10% higher than I was and the flow is dropping again. It is the same for my return COR, usually run at 530-540 gph, and keeps dropping to 510-ish range. I bump it up a couple % but after a few days back to lower flow levels.

Kind of surprised it is dropping like this after 5 months use. Should I be taking the pumps apart and cleaning already?

Return pumps of any manufacturer should be disassembled and cleaned every 2-3 months at a minimum. Some people clean them every month.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I recently cleaned my powerheads as they were dirty after a few months and got a significant increase in flow. So I believe one should clean the pumps frequently.

Frequent Visitor
    Thank you for the replies. I guess my weekend to do list just got a little longer.

Frequent Visitor
    My cor 20 is doing the same and only 1 month old. I’m getting sick of adjusting this pump, 6 months with cheap Jebao pump no adjustments. At $580au very disappointed

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeady66 View Post
    My cor 20 is doing the same and only 1 month old. I’m getting sick of adjusting this pump, 6 months with cheap Jebao pump no adjustments. At $580au very disappointed
    Adjusting the flow is as easy as pulling out the phone or tablet and hitting a few buttons.

Mine is running since NSI testing and I have only cleaned it once since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
    Adjusting the flow is as easy as pulling out the phone or tablet and hitting a few buttons.

That's beside the point. Given what the guy paid for the pump he shouldn't have to be constantly adjusting the pump. Having to constantly tend to the pump defeats the whole purpose of having a controlled pump.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    That's beside the point. Given what the guy paid for the pump he shouldn't have to be constantly adjusting the pump. Having to constantly tend to the pump defeats the whole purpose of having a controlled pump.
    No he shouldn’t have to. Point I’m making is that hundreds of others using this pump don’t have to constantly adjust their pump. So what makes his situation different from others?

Pump is 1 month old, is the tank new? Is there build up in the pipes? Is the tank water dirty and causing build up in the pump?

Is he getting gurgling in the pipes? Is it because there was debris when he put the pump in and somehow that got cleared?

And if you have to adjust the flow, it’s not that hard to do.