Thread: AWC plans

Frequent Visitor

AWC plans

I’m considering setting up a saltwater mixing station and automated water change for my Red Sea Reefer 250 (65g), and would appreciate any thoughts you have on my proposed design.

My RSR is in our dining room and I have an RODI station about 7` away on the other side of the external wall. I run an Apex and my RSR ATO is kept topped up from the external RODI reservoir via a PMUP and ATK. My Apex is housed in the sump of the RSR. The RODI station is outside in an enclosure to protect it from the elements. My reservoir is currently 80L (20g) but I have scope to double that if I need - I am allowing myself scope to install a second tank, maybe 120g or so later on.

My plan is to install another reservoir next to the RODI station (SW reservoir). This would be exposed to the elements but the area is a narrow side and quite protected. My reservoir will have a lid to prevent water and other pollutant ingress. I would provide power to the RODI station, and in that mount a DOS head and FMM. These would be connected back to the Apex base unit via a long Aquabus cable. Inside the SW reservoir would be a small powerhead to continuously move the water.

The FMM would control a PMUP in the RODI reservoir pumping to the SW reservoir. The DOS would be configured for AWC to pump from the SW reservoir to the DT and waste into the sewer (conveniently I have an entry next to the RODI station). The SW Reservoir would have an optical sensor (SWHigh) to detect when it is full.

I would have two new Apex outlets.

[SWCycle]
    # Virtual outlet to trigger a saltwater fill cycle
    #
    Set ON

[SWFill]
    # Outlet for the PMUP used to fill the SW reservoir
    #
    Set OFF
    If Outlet SWCycle = ON Then ON
    Min Time 120:00 Then ON
    If SWHigh CLOSED Then OFF

Normally SWCycle would be manually set OFF. I would trigger a fill cycle by turning it ON temporarily and then back OFF.

I would calibrate the SW Reservoir with markings inside, so I know how much water it holds vs what it holds when it is full. After triggering a SWCycle I would add sufficient salt for the amount of water required to fill it.

The DOS configuration for AWC would allow for a fill Cycle, pausing AWC whilst a cycle takes place (sorry, haven’t looked into the DOS program yet):
    IF Outlet SWCycle = ON Then OFF
    Min Time 120:00 Then OFF

The concept is that the AWC would operate 24x7 draining the SW Reservoir. I would periodically add salt to the reservoir and trigger a fill cycle. As a failsafe I could add a second optical sensor to detect a low level in the SW Reservoir and disable the AWC.

Specific questions I have are:
    1. How long can I keep pre-mixed salt in this configuration?
    I use Aquaforest Reef salt currently.
    2. How much water should I change daily?
    I currently do a 27L/7g every 4 weeks (10% of total volume) so on this basis I would want to change ~1L/day (0.25g/day).

I would appreciate any thoughts the community has!

Thanks in advance, Brad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premixed salt exposed to the elements is good for a couple weeks max.

I would suggest doing this for your enable VO instead

Set ON
    When On > 120:00 Then OFF

This will put it back into OFF automatically so you can't forget about it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Aquaforest say to use the Reef Salt within 5 days of mixing: https://aquaforest.eu/en/product/reef-salt/

I would say the amount to change would be based on the nutrient and other levels that you have and need to reduce/replenish. A continuous water change will not quite change out the same amount as removing 27L and then replacing it.

Frequent Visitor
    I have no helpful comments but wow that's a clean sump. It looks like a lab, I have to go clean mine out now.

If it helps any I use a dual head peristaltic pump on a wemo switch for AWC. I didn't have the room to fit an aquabus cable through the hole in the floor for an old cable line and I want the pump downstairs in case of leaks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Frequent griper
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Premixed salt exposed to the elements is good for a couple weeks max.
    Why? We keep in in our tanks far longer then that, why is keeping elsewhere only good for a few weeks?

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Walker View Post
    Why? We keep in in our tanks far longer then that, why is keeping elsewhere only good for a few weeks?

Stan
    Large heat differential from day to night precipitate your ALK significantly faster than in a consistent temp. Because of the lack of buffering agents like live rock and aragonite sand, ALK depletion can become quite significant after less than a month even in optimal climate controlled and perfectly sealed conditions. If not sealed well, you also have the issue of critter and bacteria intrusion that can foul the water to a small degree.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent griper
    Thanks. I do plan for my RO & salt mix container to be outside in a cabinet. Guess I'll only mix what I plan on using for the next water change. Plus a little so the DOS doesn't lose prime and stop filling the tank before the programmed amount.